cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 11-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #1
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road
Default If Romney runs in 2012...

will he be able to say something like this again, in light of the LDS Church's Prop 8 influence?:

"Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions. Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."?

Last edited by scottie; 11-05-2008 at 02:04 PM.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
will he be able to say something like this again, in light of the LDS Church's Prop 8 influence?:

"Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions. Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."?
sure he can *say* it.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
scottie

Dang, can't edit titles -- I meant "Romney".
Old 11-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Dang, can't edit titles -- I meant "Romney".
You can edit titles. Just click "advanced" after you click "edit."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
sure he can *say* it.
Absolutely. Just like Ohbama. But then didn't Ohbama say he was against gay marriage and leave it up to the states? So Ohbama must be happy with the Cali vote on gay marriage.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
You can edit titles. Just click "advanced" after you click "edit."
Thank you.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I would think that would be low hanging fruit for his political enemies.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Interesting poll over on CB. It asked something like, if the leaders of the church asked you to vote a certain way, would you. A large percentage said they would.

That would be a very useful poll against Romney if it was found the majority of the church felt that way. I assume the majority does, but to admit it causes problems.

Either Romney admits he is like most LDS and would vote or govern as asked or he has to defend why he isn't in the mainstream of the church.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Interesting poll over on CB. It asked something like, if the leaders of the church asked you to vote a certain way, would you. A large percentage said they would.
Does anyone else find this a bit frightening? How again are we different from a cult?

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming that anyone who votes with the Prophet didn't seek and receive some sort of individual confirmation. But that's not part of the hypothetical.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Does anyone else find this a bit frightening? How again are we different from a cult?

Disclaimer: I'm not claiming that anyone who votes with the Prophet didn't seek and receive some sort of individual confirmation. But that's not part of the hypothetical.
Oh give me a freakin' break. The vast majority of Mormons followed the Prophet's counsel to vote for Prop 8 because they agreed with him. Do I deny that the fact that it came from the Prophet carried a lot of weight? No, of course not.

But the church laid out a case--a strong one, IMO--for voting in favor of it. They didn't just issue an edict from on high.

The Prophet asks people all the time to bring people to church, read your scriptures, attend all your meetings, do your home teaching, pay your tithing ... some do, some don't.

This idea that LDS are a bunch of mind-numbed robots is as silly a caricature as that missionary Prop 8 ad yesterday, and equally as laughable.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote