cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
we did the same thing in Bolivia....drank a load of carbonated beverages in lieu of boiling water. Is that a myth or does carbonation really kill the cholera and other bacteria in the water?

The downside was that I got so sick of soda on my mission that I rarely drink it today. I can handle an occassional can here and there, max.

One guy that I work with pumps down the diet coke like it is plasma. He shows up every morning with his massive 48 oz. plastic mug filled with diet coke. he drinks it at lunch and all day long. That guy is going to have major gall stones to pass in a few years. I dont know how anyone can drink so much of the same thing over and over.
I only drank black sodas. I found I didn't get sick of them and more important they quenched my thirst whereas the others didn't. In the tiendas they'd put them in the freezer above the fridge space in their little ice boxes. It'd be about 100% humidity and 100 degrees F and they'd pop the cap and the bottle insides would turn to slush. I didn't get sick of it but haven't drank much soda since. Honestly I don't think soda with major brands is contaminated in poor countries. I'm not sure why not, though.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
In Ecuador we used to say that Coca Cola killed bichos. So I drank maybe six a day, to kill the bichos and also because there was no bottled water and I was too lazy to boil myself some. I learned that Coca-cola, RC and Pepsi have very different boquets and flavors. I doubt my pallet is any longer so fine since I haven't drank a soda for years.
You pride yourself on being able to tell the difference between Coke, Pepsi, and RC Cola? Yes, ClouSeaU is back on the job.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You pride yourself on being able to tell the difference between Coke, Pepsi, and RC Cola? Yes, ClouSeaU is back on the job.
I said I can't any longer. I'm proud of that.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

here is the best drink ever: (Ramune)

Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #15
SeattleUte

No, this is:

http://www.whisky.com/brands/dalwhinnie_brand.html

Palate: Smooth, soft and lasting flavours of heather, honey sweetness and vanilla followed by deeper citrus-fruit flavours and hints of malted bread.

Finish: Long, lingering, surprisingly intense finish that starts sweetly, then gives way to smoke, peat and malt.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No, this is:

http://www.whisky.com/brands/dalwhinnie_brand.html

Palate: Smooth, soft and lasting flavours of heather, honey sweetness and vanilla followed by deeper citrus-fruit flavours and hints of malted bread.

Finish: Long, lingering, surprisingly intense finish that starts sweetly, then gives way to smoke, peat and malt.
sorry, reminds me of listerine.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #17
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

A soda in a bottle with a marble? I am all over that sort of crazy gimmick.

I just called the Japanese grocery store nearest the office...Ebisu Supermarket. It is about 10 minutes away. They sell it.

What flavor should I get? Maybe I should just buy a few bottles and try them?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
A soda in a bottle with a marble? I am all over that sort of crazy gimmick.

I just called the Japanese grocery store nearest the office...Ebisu Supermarket. It is about 10 minutes away. They sell it.

What flavor should I get? Maybe I should just buy a few bottles and try them?
I've only had the normal clear kind that is lemon-lime. They do have other flavors, but haven't tried them yet.

To be honest, the flavor is not particularly remarkable. It's the bottle that is fun, esp. for the kids. These bottles used to be common in Britain, but stopped using them. Now the old ones are collector items, because most of them were broken by kids wanting the marble.

I think your kids would get a kick out of drinking from them, just like I did when I was young.

Let me know which flavor you like the best.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I prefer the bourbon.

http://www.whisky.com/brands/woodfor...rve_brand.html

or this

http://www.whisky.com/brands/buffalo_trace_brand.html
Old 05-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've only had the normal clear kind that is lemon-lime. They do have other flavors, but haven't tried them yet.

To be honest, the flavor is not particularly remarkable. It's the bottle that is fun, esp. for the kids. These bottles used to be common in Britain, but stopped using them. Now the old ones are collector items, because most of them were broken by kids wanting the marble.

I think your kids would get a kick out of drinking from them, just like I did when I was young.

Let me know which flavor you like the best.
OK, I have them in hand (sent my admin instead of waiting).

Strawberry flavor and Melon flavor.

The bottles look different from the ones in your pic, but still very funky and very Japanese in the packaging. They are bottled locally here in Torrance, so this drink must not be hard to find. She also bought me a bottle of a weird drink called Calpico. It is mango flavor and has a Hello Kitty on the label. It looks awesome.

With the exception of Pearl Harbor, chain smoking, standing too close, and Sanyo, why is everything that Asians do so rad?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote