cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anybody here studied

Olmec or Mayan?

I wanted to venture into it, but online stuff is pretty barren. Just boardmail if you have because I can tell the Greek questions excite about two of you. Does anybody know what happened to Chapel Hill?

I wanted to learn to read this.

http://www.oupress.com/bookdetail.as...-0-8061-3839-8

Last edited by Archaea; 04-03-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Just boardmail if you have because I can tell the Greek questions excite about two of you.
Does this mean you are finally going to stop self-fellating yourself in front of everyone with your Greek verb conjugation posts?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Olmec or Mayan?

I wanted to venture into it, but online stuff is pretty barren. Just boardmail if you have because I can tell the Greek questions excite about two of you. Does anybody know what happened to Chapel Hill?

I might be the last participant when it comes to Greek thread but i always benefit from the links you would provide here ..last time i had a great pleasure reading about mysterious names of God and good laugh reading the humor part..and now i came across to the book "a letter to America" by David Boren, the president of Oklahoma University...Thank you.

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 04-03-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:24 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
I might be the last participant when it comes to Greek thread but i always benefit from the links you would provide here ..last time i had a great pleasure reading about mysterious names of God and good laugh reading the humor part..and now i came across to the book "a letter to America" by David Born, the president of Oklahoma University...Thank you.
I would skip it. I don't know that there's ever been a more egotistical, self-satisfied, self-important individual than Dr. Boren. No matter what the purported topic of the book, it's really about him.

Hundreds of us once waited at a presentation for nearly an hour past start time while Dr. Boren and the Governor had a standoff in their respective limos over who would get to make the final entrance into the auditorium (generally public figures enter in reverse order of rank). Finally the governor relented and came in first, allowing Boren to have the grand entrance, just to move things along.

During the ice storm two months ago Boren was more concerned about the damage to his campus trees than the fact that he had thousands of students living in dorms without power. And goodness forbid a Pac-10 ref dare call a penalty against his school's team. Hell hath no fury! I tell you, he's one odd cookie.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Olmec or Mayan?

I didn't know there was a written Olmec language.

I have a friend who does Mayan here. I'll ask him.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Does this mean you are finally going to stop self-fellating yourself in front of everyone with your Greek verb conjugation posts?
If you can have your grammar questions answered quickly and for free, wouldn't you indulge?

Solon and AA have been so kind, and I imagine I'll continue to seek their assistance, which kindness hopefully I can return. If you find my requests odd or imbecilic simply read a more enlightened post such as one of your own.

The main thing I've learned by endeavoring to learn Greek, is that the New Testament events probably were secondary renditions of the real thing.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
If you can have your grammar questions answered quickly and for free, wouldn't you indulge?

Solon and AA have been so kind, and I imagine I'll continue to seek their assistance, which kindness hopefully I can return. If you find my requests odd or imbecilic simply read a more enlightened post such as one of your own.

The main thing I've learned by endeavoring to learn Greek, is that the New Testament events probably were secondary renditions of the real thing.
Indulge through boardmail....absolutely.

Indulge publicly....absolutely not.

Unless I wanted everyone else to know about it, in which case I would do it all the time....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:

Unless I wanted everyone else to know about it, in which case I would do it all the time....
Boardmails get deleted, but posts are archived for future review. That is the benefit of a post over a boardmail. I've thought of boardmails, but sometimes I forget the answers, and though the wonders of archive, my answer remains there.

Again, any post you don't like, you don't have to read.

This and the religious studies section is designed for classicists thought. You may disdain classicists but you don't have to play in our ballpark.

Last edited by Archaea; 04-03-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Dude, stop being a turkey, or as we say in Hebrew, a רזממ
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Instead of mocking him, you should congratulate him for maintaining such a high level of flexibility at his advanced age.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote