cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
BTW, nice touch starting off with Godwin's Law in the first post.
You don't understand Godwin's law. It doesn't render offlimits any use of Nazi Germany as a moral touchstone or to make a philosophical point. That would be stupid, and dangerous, wouldn't it? The point is that the simile is overused.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You don't understand Godwin's law. It doesn't render offlimits any use of Nazi Germany as a moral touchstone or to make a philosophical point. That would be stupid, and dangerous, wouldn't it? The point is that the simile is overused.
Ergo, your post.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Had I been able to vote on Prop 8, I would've voted against it because I oppose gay marriage.
And ironically, by voting against it you would be unwittingly casting a vote in favor of gay marriage.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And ironically, by voting against it you would be unwittingly casting a vote in favor of gay marriage.
*shrug* Whatever. You know what I meant.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really get the "I didn't make an informed and principled decision" defense. Although for many people it is no doubt true.

If you didn't think, feel, deliberate in any meaningful fashion before acting, maybe you deserve to lose your job.

I'm much more sympathetic to someone saying, "I thought hard about this, and I decided to support Prop 8." But what we see are people who are trying to please both sides--their "gay friends" and their church leaders.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #16
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ergo, your post.
Hmm, Tex gets it and Seattle ignores it. If you are to use the simile, make certain it's a tight fight, not one so lose and sloppy.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-06-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Hmm, Tex gets it and Seattle ignores it. If you are to use the simile, make certain it's a tight fight, not one so lose and sloppy.
http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...ed=1#post47062

—Paul Auster
Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
If you're trying to argue that LDS members so-called "blindly" following their church leaders in the rare instances those leaders actually advocate a political position is a slippery slope that can/will eventually lead to Holocaust-style atrocities ... I will most likely laugh in your face and not take you the least bit seriously.

Not really different from any other time, I guess.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
If you're trying to argue that LDS members so-called "blindly" following their church leaders in the rare instances those leaders actually advocate a political position is a slippery slope that can/will eventually lead to Holocaust-style atrocities ... I will most likely laugh in your face and not take you the least bit seriously.

Not really different from any other time, I guess.
Tex, I think most people today would not consider it a good thing to blindly follow a religious cleric's directive. The mischeif that can follow from that type of thing is demonstrable and historically well documented. I'm glad you admit that that's what was going on here and that's what happens with most LDS members all the time. The biggest protection we have agaisnt a slippery slope leading to Holocaust-type atrocities is not the character of any religious cleric in America but our Constitution and secular ethos. I don't think I'm being controversial or going out on a limb in saying that.

—Paul Auster
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Tex, I think most people today would not consider it a good thing to blindly follow a religious cleric's directive. The mischeif that can follow from that type of thing is demonstrable and historically well documented. I'm glad you admit that that's what was going on here and that's what happens with most LDS members all the time. The biggest protection we have agaisnt a slippery slope leading to Holocaust-type atrocities is not the character of any religious cleric in America but our Constitution and secular ethos. I don't think I'm being controversial or going out on a limb in saying that.
We are so far up that slippery-slope that our butts would be scraped completely off by friction before we ever got even close to a Holocaust anything. Anytime someone like you brings up something like that so casually, it's cause to point-and-mock. If anyone is cheapening that atrocity, it's you.

As for the "blind" obedience thing, I used the words "so called" for a reason. I don't buy it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young