cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #61
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*shrug* I don't really care. You're still obsessed with the guy.
lol.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 PM   #62
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Several points in response to your nonsensical post.

First, the entire thing is a red herring. The topic of the thread is clearly established in the first post. You don't want to discuss that topic, so you keep meandering off point and wandering into irrelevant territory. Ironic, given your conclusions about topic avoidance above.

Second, am I under some sort of obligation to respond to every thread written? I have been working a lot and, consequently, not posting much on here or reading much on here (of course, there hasn't been much to read either since the new forum was created).

Third, "American politics" is an extremely broad category you are establishing for the topic of conversation here. To say that this topic is about American politics and, therefore, all issues pertaining to American politics are relevant to this conversation, is absurd. This is the simple "If all A are also B, then all B must also be A" fallacy. Yes, conversations about constitutional violations committed by Bush do fall into Group B (American politics), but that certainly doesn't mean that everything involving American politics also falls into Group A (discussion about Bush's constitutional violations). I find it astonishing that this really needs to be explained. Believe it or not, it is entirely possible to have a conversation about the Bush presidency and actions undertaken by Bush without needing to discuss Obama, or Garfield, or Adams, or Buchanon.

Fourth, I find it exceptionally amusing that you suddenly think I am afraid to discuss Obama and his policies, especially given quotes by you, Arch and others on here for the past two years that I do nothing EXCEPT write about Obama.

Are you just incredibly uneasy discussing this topic or any topic involving Bush, and making the assumption that I must, therefore, also be uncomfortable discussing Obama?
American politics is sooo broad that you would state that Bush is relevant and Obama is not simple because it's supposedly such a specific subject? Double wow. Of course you are under no obligation to respond, it's just puzzling that you would ignore the many threads about the current president and then post about Bush? He's no longer in office -- he's irrelevant. What a poor attempt to deflect.

In all honesty I've looked forward to talking Obama with you. That's why I've been around the board. You have an interesting outlook. Quite frankly your actions suggest you are not comfortable discussing Obama!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #63
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
American politics is sooo broad that you would state that Bush is relevant and Obama is not simple because it's supposedly such a specific subject? Double wow. Of course you are under no obligation to respond, it's just puzzling that you would ignore the many threads about the current president and then post about Bush? He's no longer in office -- he's irrelevant. What a poor attempt to deflect.

In all honesty I've looked forward to talking Obama with you. That's why I've been around the board. You have an interesting outlook. Quite frankly your actions suggest you are not comfortable discussing Obama!
Which thread am I missing that you are referring to?

Bush's actions are hardly irrelevant. It appears he tore up the Constitution for political expediency. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It is also highly relevant to know who has been affected by his actions. Don't forget there are many people in army custody to this day whose status must be reviewed, given Bush's utter contempt for constitutional principles and treaty obligations.

To sweep all of this under the rug and say "but he isn't president TODAY so we can no longer talk about it" is totally absurd, and I think you know it.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #64
tooblue

Quote:
Which thread am I missing that you are referring to?

Bush's actions are hardly irrelevant. It appears he tore up the Constitution for political expediency. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. It is also highly relevant to know who has been affected by his actions. Don't forget there are many people in army custody to this day whose status must be reviewed, given Bush's utter contempt for constitutional principles and treaty obligations.

To sweep all of this under the rug and say "but he isn't president TODAY so we can no longer talk about it" is totally absurd, and I think you know it.
No one has swept anything under a rug but he is now irrelevant *period* What is the sitting president doing to amend the so called egregious situations? It is not absurd to insist that any political talk about what is currently happening takes into account what the current POTUS is doing. Unless you are afraid that now that he is in power there seems to be little difference between him and his predecessor?

Was closing gitmo and bringing enemy combatants onto American soil where they have access to constitutional rights the right thing to do -- or in fact is that what is happening? Maybe those prisoners will never land on American soil but rather will end up in a Saudi Arabian prison etc?

Surely you can concede that current pressing situations are much more compelling unless of course you are afraid of what you might discover -- hence the retreat to the comfy confines of; "Bush did this and this, and this"?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 AM   #65
Cali Coug

Quote:
No one has swept anything under a rug but he is now irrelevant *period* What is the sitting president doing to amend the so called egregious situations? It is not absurd to insist that any political talk about what is currently happening takes into account what the current POTUS is doing. Unless you are afraid that now that he is in power there seems to be little difference between him and his predecessor?

Was closing gitmo and bringing enemy combatants onto American soil where they have access to constitutional rights the right thing to do -- or in fact is that what is happening? Maybe those prisoners will never land on American soil but rather will end up in a Saudi Arabian prison etc?

Surely you can concede that current pressing situations are much more compelling unless of course you are afraid of what you might discover -- hence the retreat to the comfy confines of; "Bush did this and this, and this"?

If they are more compelling to you, once again- start a thread. They don't seem to be more compelling to you, as you are spending all of your time posting in threads that have nothing to do with Obama, trying to convince everyone that "this is not the thread you are looking for."

Bush isn't irrelevant today, even if you say *period* after asserting that he is. Our constitutional liberties and their treatment by a president just 1 month removed from office is hardly irrelevant. *Period*
Old 03-06-2009, 03:47 AM   #66
tooblue

Quote:
If they are more compelling to you, once again- start a thread. They don't seem to be more compelling to you, as you are spending all of your time posting in threads that have nothing to do with Obama, trying to convince everyone that "this is not the thread you are looking for."

Bush isn't irrelevant today, even if you say *period* after asserting that he is. Our constitutional liberties and their treatment by a president just 1 month removed from office is hardly irrelevant. *Period*
Another thread was started but that's beside the point. How can what Bush did have nothing to do with Obama? I'm not the one who has to do some convincing here
Old 03-06-2009, 04:02 AM   #67
Cali Coug

Quote:
Another thread was started but that's beside the point. How can what Bush did have nothing to do with Obama? I'm not the one who has to do some convincing here
I am sorry- you are going to need to repeat all of your points previously made in prior posts, as I now deem them all totally irrelevant *period* due to their having occurred several minutes in the past.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #68
tooblue

Quote:
I am sorry- you are going to need to repeat all of your points previously made in prior posts, as I now deem them all totally irrelevant *period* due to their having occurred several minutes in the past.
Dodge dodge dodge. Charisma will only get you so far.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #69
Cali Coug

Quote:
Dodge dodge dodge. Charisma will only get you so far.
Dodge what? The guy in the clown suit throwing pies at my argument? You will need to prove to me that your argument has nothing to do with Benjamin Harrison failing to wear a coat on inauguration day before we can proceed.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #70
tooblue

Quote:
Dodge what? The guy in the clown suit throwing pies at my argument? You will need to prove to me that your argument has nothing to do with Benjamin Harrison failing to wear a coat on inauguration day before we can proceed.
Keep dodging.