cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Presidential Rankings

I recall that whenever I would comment that Bush was likely one of the worst US presidents ever, my old buddy Tex would scoff at my myopia; my woefully naive and short-sighted view of US history.

C-Span recently commissioned a poll of 65 historians where they ranked the presidents. Bush came in 36th out of 42. Lincoln was #1.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705285410,00.html

Quote:
Rated worst overall were James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, William Henry Harrison and Warren G. Harding.
Here are the top ten:

Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, Rasmussen polled several key GOP historians and found that Bush placed much higher on the list, narrowly missing the top ten.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I wonder where Abraham Lincoln, Harry Truman, and Woodrow Wilson placed 30 days after their presidencies ended.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep trying to place Bush, and I agree that Bush was an unsuccessful president, the causes are many, not all of them within his control. And we complainers are wont to ascribe malevolence or a deficiency in intelligence with those we deem as failures. But this thought came to me, Bush may not be an evil person or extremely unintelligent, but he may have not been up to the job. Now this is not a complete condemnation of his character, as it is perhaps the most difficult job on the planet, not many of us, would be up to the job. And Bush is one, who couldn't do the job well. Perhaps it's as simple as that. Carter couldn't do the job. And maybe for example none of us could do it. Just a thought. Nothing earth-shattering I know.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I recall that whenever I would comment that Bush was likely one of the worst US presidents ever, my old buddy Tex would scoff at my myopia; my woefully naive and short-sighted view of US history.

C-Span recently commissioned a poll of 65 historians where they ranked the presidents. Bush came in 36th out of 42. Lincoln was #1.

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705285410,00.html

Here are the top ten:

Harry S. Truman, fifth?

Kennedy sixth?

Not buying those rankings.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Truman I'm absolutely buying, but I agree with you on Kennedy.

Truman set the stage not only for the miraculous post-WWII peace and prosperity, but he also planted the seeds that ultimately resulted in our victory in the Cold War. Plus, he was one heck of a man. Grit, pluck, commen sense, honesty, and humility. Read McCullough's biography: it's a great read.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Truman I'm absolutely buying, but I agree with you on Kennedy.

Truman set the stage not only for the miraculous post-WWII peace and prosperity, but he also planted the seeds that ultimately resulted in our victory in the Cold War. Plus, he was one heck of a man. Grit, pluck, commen sense, honesty, and humility. Read McCullough's biography: it's a great read.
No thanks, I'm waiting for the Brodie biography. That will savage him to the point that she will have to floss out scrotum gristle.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Putting Kennedy in there is a joke, and I'm not sure Eisenhower deserves top ten either. Reagan should easily be top 5.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Senator hatch is on the Utah senate floor right now. He just said that he is the longest serving member of the intelligence committee, and that 30 years from now, when the documents are declassified, Bush will go down as one of the top presidents in history.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Senator hatch is on the Utah senate floor right now. He just said that he is the longest serving member of the intelligence committee, and that 30 years from now, when the documents are declassified, Bush will go down as one of the top presidents in history.
Good old Orrin. That's funny. I'll bet they ate it up.