cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default tv wiring

will begin building some bookshelves and cabinets for tv/dvd/etc, soon.
I'd like to control the spider nest of cables as best as possible. I'm sure there are panels for doing this sort of thing. anyone w/ any experience?
Anyone designed such a system? I'd like to consider all things as I put together my plan.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a TV/DD combo. Only one cord.

Hope this helps.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

This is a TV/DD combo. Only one cord.

Hope this helps.
damn baseball player......
Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
damn baseball player......

I set up my own system, though I didn't build shelves and cabinets. I just purchased the shelves and such.

What I did to make it simple to keep track of which cables were which, was used different colored cable ties like these:

For the DVD player, I used three red ties - one near where you plug the cables into the DVD player, one near where you plug the cables into the TV and one around the middle so I know which was the DVD player. I used yellow for the stereo - I use my stereo speakers for external tv speakers. It's color coded like that.

I hope this is more helpful than my simple home theater suggestion.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
will begin building some bookshelves and cabinets for tv/dvd/etc, soon.
I'd like to control the spider nest of cables as best as possible. I'm sure there are panels for doing this sort of thing. anyone w/ any experience?
Anyone designed such a system? I'd like to consider all things as I put together my plan.
It really depends on what equipment you have. I recommend using an AV Receiver. Assuming you get a quality one, you can connect all the gear up to that, and then connect that to the TV.

If you're building the entertainment center yourself, just make sure you give yourself plenty of room around your gear. Overheated electronics is one of the biggest factors that decrease their life. I would even recommend a built-in fan in the back of the cabinet to help keep things cool.

You can also find tubing that will consolidate your cables into one 'bunch', to keep the wires from being all over the place. If you want to go on the cheap, just use some PVC pipe attached to the back of the shelves (behind the backing, obviously). You can run the cords through the pipe.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Spaz

Oh - and avoid having equipment stacked on other equipment. It doesn't help out with the heat issue...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

we have a cool built in our place.

I like it for 3 reasons:

1. Simple design....NO shelves, so no way to load shelves up with crap and clutter.

2. 3 Storage cabinets underneath....left cabinet for all components, middle cabinet for sub, as well as kids toys, right cabinet for more kids toys. All toys are out of sight.

3. We used framed speaker screen instead of an all wood cabinet door. The result is that you cannot even see the components. but since the speaker screen is porous, we can use our remotes normally and keep the cabinet doors closed.

I also echo Spaz's suggestion that there be enough room in the back for cooling and air circulation.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
Brian

Thanks gang.
The equipment we have is: dvr, dvd, surround sound receiver, vcr. The plan is to build built-ins on either side of the fireplace and hang the tv above the mantle. So, I want to run all the wires behind things. I was hoping to find some kind of panel that I can mount in the back of the shelving unit. Something to plug the various video cables to the TV ports and the speaker wires. Then, another panel to mount behind the tv w/ the inputs to plug into the tv.
Mr. Google is not finding me such things, but maybe they have a particular name.... ?
But, I like the pvc pipe option if I can't find such a thing.
Are there any super neat gizmos coming down the pike that I should consider before covering up all my wiring routes?

Or maybe I should just go w/ IPU's hi-techaroni.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Spaz

Quote:
Thanks gang.
The equipment we have is: dvr, dvd, surround sound receiver, vcr. The plan is to build built-ins on either side of the fireplace and hang the tv above the mantle. So, I want to run all the wires behind things. I was hoping to find some kind of panel that I can mount in the back of the shelving unit. Something to plug the various video cables to the TV ports and the speaker wires. Then, another panel to mount behind the tv w/ the inputs to plug into the tv.
Mr. Google is not finding me such things, but maybe they have a particular name.... ?
But, I like the pvc pipe option if I can't find such a thing.
Are there any super neat gizmos coming down the pike that I should consider before covering up all my wiring routes?

Or maybe I should just go w/ IPU's hi-techaroni.
The closest thing I've ever found to what you're talking about is called 'Rapid Run'. I considered doing this, but decided it would be more economical to just buy a new entertainment center.

You can also find in-wall components with wall-jack type accessories simply by googling "in-wall component video cable".

I highly recommend you plan for the future, and include a hookup for a Blu-ray player. You could always throw a couple extra cables behind the paneling as well, to ensure you're prepared.

In interesting discussion is whether you should plan for component or HDMI for the blu-ray. I've read a bit on this subject, and it's not at all clear which will work better...