cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homer is Ionic, not Attic

does that mean I won't be able to read Homer if I only learn Attic Greek. I'm screwed as it will be too hard to learn too many dialects of a dead langugage.

So do I also have to Aeolic and Doric in addition to understand Homer? I just wanted to read a little here and there.

For me to learn this stuff, I'll need to relearn linear algebra to route my vectors in order to reroute my classes of verbs and which dialects have dual and which don't. Might as well learn Linear B as a phonemic, syllabary. Mycenean here I come. Might as well throw in Syriac.

I just wanted to read Homer and the Bible was that too much to ask?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
does that mean I won't be able to read Homer if I only learn Attic Greek. I'm screwed as it will be too hard to learn too many dialects of a dead langugage.

So do I also have to Aeolic and Doric in addition to understand Homer? I just wanted to read a little here and there.

For me to learn this stuff, I'll need to relearn linear algebra to route my vectors in order to reroute my classes of verbs and which dialects have dual and which don't. Might as well learn Linear B as a phonemic, syllabary. Mycenean here I come. Might as well throw in Syriac.

I just wanted to read Homer and the Bible was that too much to ask?
I'm still very much in the learning phases of attic, but I can manage Homer reasonably well. I don't think you'll be hurting too much.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:58 AM   #3
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'm still very much in the learning phases of attic, but I can manage Homer reasonably well. I don't think you'll be hurting too much.
I actually think pure Ionic (like Herodotus) is easier to read than straight Attic because the verbs don't contract as much and it's easier to identify the forms. Homer is his own special set of problems. You'll be fine with an Attic foundation, especially once you get used to Homer's little quirks (like the -oio genitive ending).