cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why BYU is not an underdog (repost from CB)

This is a repost from CB. It's rare for me to put any effort into a post on CB. I get more satisfaction from stirring things up (uh-oh, is than an "agenda"?)
--------------------------------

I love underdogs. I almost always root for them.

Despite our poor record, we are not an underdog. We don't have that feel. Why?

Well, an underdog comes in with everyone thinking they will lose. Not us. Our fans think we will win. That we will win the conference, got a bowl, etc. Every loss comes as a shock.

An underdog sneaks up on you. BYU hardly does that. We come in talking tough and then underwhelm.

So now I refer to football's master of psychology: Lou Holtz. "We suck, I don't think there's anyway we can win." Then BAM.

It makes me wonder why Bronco comes in building expectations without evidence. He positions himself in the anti-underdog position. "Back to Glory." "Return to the Top." "Only settle for the best." These are not exact quotes of course. But you get the idea. I think his decision to take this route was short-term gain, and now will be longterm pain.

It boggles the mind why at least one experienced player makes statements to the press belittling (in effect, it not in intention) other teams. I see this as a symptom of the coach--an unwillingness to take a humble approach in public.

I believe BM is a straight-shooter. And that's what makes this even worse. It means he is an idealogue. He actually believes what he says. And that is why I also believe he is befuddled right now about our mediocrity.

It's time for Bronco to start over and think about how he wants to present himself and the team to the public.

-----
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote