cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What was your cumulative GPA at BYU?
Above 3.9 7 21.21%
3.5-3.89 10 30.30%
3.0-3.49 7 21.21%
2.0-3.0 4 12.12%
Less than 2.0 2 6.06%
They kicked me out. 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I graduated with a 2.97 or something I think. I had a hard time focusing on the classes that were of no interest to me. I was that student that went to study in the library and got completely sidetracked, and ended up spending a couple of hours reading and researching something that was entirely unrelated to any classes I was taking.
That was me too. I also had a hard time when my classes were in the SWKT starting at the same time as a movie in the International Cinema. The IC won out over a boring lecture most every time. But hey--not a single employer since I graduated has ever asked me what my GPA was. I guess it only matters if you want to go to graduate school.

I think my GPA was around a 3.2. My worst grade was in physical science. I got a C of some variety but I don't remember exactly. Word to the wise: Don't take physical science your senior year when you are engaged to be married as soon as the semester ends. It was a torture.

Last edited by marsupial; 08-10-2007 at 06:13 PM.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This is an interesting poll/thread. Folks with crappy grades often like to find consolation in stories about geniuses with bad grades (Einstein) or studies of the inverse correlation between GPA and income. In my experience, people who had crappy grades and went on to highly successful business careers were often B or C students because they were starting or running businesses while still in school. They were extremely bright people. The lower GPA was a function of lack to time, not lack of intelligence. On the other hand, I know plenty of straight-A folks who have been phenomenally successful. And I don't know any straight-A folks who are flipping burgers. But then again, I work in the tech sector so my exposure is limited to that crowd.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #23
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This is an interesting poll/thread. Folks with crappy grades often like to find consolation in stories about geniuses with bad grades (Einstein) or studies of the inverse correlation between GPA and income. In my experience, people who had crappy grades and went on to highly successful business careers were often B or C students because they were starting or running businesses while still in school. They were extremely bright people. The lower GPA was a function of lack to time, not lack of intelligence. On the other hand, I know plenty of straight-A folks who have been phenomenally successful. And I don't know any straight-A folks who are flipping burgers. But then again, I work in the tech sector so my exposure is limited to that crowd.
I think this is an accurate observation. I would be interest in knowing how many of those here with bad freshmen grades ended up with pretty good grades overall.

The school my son is attending this fall as a freshmen does not reveal any grades for freshmen to the outside world. All first semester grades show up only as pass/fail. The students themselves get the grades so they can gauge their work, but to the outside world on the transcript no grades are given. The thoery is that most people screw up the first semester and so hiding the grades allows them to get over it, adjust and then move on with life.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #24
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I find this to be a good assessment. I started my first company in college. A fledgling t-shirt company. I also tried my hand at a few other ventures with friends. We started a group called the triumvirate and had weekly entrepreneurial meetings. At one point I spent more time in the entrepreneur center in the Tanner building than in the JKHB where I was majoring in English. I was a B-C student.

Everyone that studied and got straight A's that I know is doing well.

Personally I don't think BYU was that difficult. If I had put any effort into school I am pretty sure I could have been an A-B student with ease.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #25
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think this is an accurate observation. I would be interest in knowing how many of those here with bad freshmen grades ended up with pretty good grades overall.

The school my son is attending this fall as a freshmen does not reveal any grades for freshmen to the outside world. All first semester grades show up only as pass/fail. The students themselves get the grades so they can gauge their work, but to the outside world on the transcript no grades are given. The thoery is that most people screw up the first semester and so hiding the grades allows them to get over it, adjust and then move on with life.
That's interesting. I kind of like that theory. As I noted above I had a crappy 1st semester that hurt my cumulative even with the classes I retook. My major GPA was closer to a 3.5.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
That was me too. I also had a hard time when my classes were in the SWKT starting at the same time as a movie in the International Cinema. The IC won out over a boring lecture most every time. But hey--not a single employer since I graduated has ever asked me what my GPA was. I guess it only matters if you want to go to graduate school.

I think my GPA was around a 3.2. My worst grade was in physical science. I got a C of some variety but I don't remember exactly. Word to the wise: Don't take physical science your senior year when you are engaged to be married as soon as the semester ends. It was a torture.
Physical Science was great. There was no homework, only three tests and a final. If the final was better than the average of your three tests, then your final grade was what you got on the final.

I never attended class, didn't take the first three tests and got an A- on the final exam with minimal studying. If only all my classes were like that.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #27
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Physical Science was great. There was no homework, only three tests and a final. If the final was better than the average of your three tests, then your final grade was what you got on the final.

I never attended class, didn't take the first three tests and got an A- on the final exam with minimal studying. If only all my classes were like that.
The essays were the only thing that saved my grade in that class. I absolutely suck at multiple choice tests. I always manage to convince myself that every question is actually a trick question. I did so horrendous on the mutiple choice portions of those tests, and then aced the essay that the professor probably wondered if the same person really did both.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #28
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Yes, I followed your strategy up until the last part where I didn't do so well on the final test. The whole time I kept thinking, why didn't I take this as a freshman like everyone else. Oh well, I passed. Now my son asks me all these complex science questions that I could probably answer a whole lot better had I spent more time studying in physical science.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 PM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
1.39 my first semester. I spent the next year digging myself out and graduated with around a 3.0.
During my first two quarters at the U I was working full-time, attended less than half of my classes, and received a 1.0 and a 0.7. I took the next three years off, then after returning I earned mostly A's including three straight 4.0's, but due to the poor start I couldn't climb over 3.5.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote