cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blair blames murders on blacks' culture

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/...055148,00.html

Wow, I can't imagine what would happen if a US president said that murders, crime, lack of marriage, etc. among blacks was due to their culture.

If Bill Cosby, a black man, can make comments critical of black culture and almost by lynched, think what would happen to a prominent white man if he said it.

What I thought was kind of interesting was that was said at a "knife crime summit."

Maybe they are going to ban knives in Britain. In ten years, they will attend a "wooden club summit." And they will eat steak with their hands.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet MSNBC drops him like a rock.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I bet MSNBC drops him like a rock.
LOL, I think Lingo can add Blair to his list of people that "gets it".
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Wow, I can't imagine what would happen if a US president said that murders, crime, lack of marriage, etc. among blacks was due to their culture.
Refusal to discuss relative merits of culture is PC extremism run amok.

One of the unfortunate things about the occasional crack pot making up genetic proclivities across an entire race is it obscures the overwhelming importance of culture. Religion's redeeming virtue is as a transmitter, even a leavener and galvanizer of productive elements of culture.

PC extremists love to talk about "environmental" factors but shy away from addressing "cultural" factors, as if they were not the same thing. They're the same thing. (Jared Diamond, whom I admire, is guilty of this dogmatic hair splitting.)

The more one becomes steeped in the entire arc of recorded history the clearer becomes the dispositive importance of culture.

Clear thinking people recognize that across races assigning differences in gene pool traits is pure conjecture and harmful, to say the least. But all cultures are most emphatically NOT of equal merit in terms of their capacity to enrich the lives of their members and adhereants intellectually, spiritually and physically. They just aren't. Isn't that self-evident?

By the way, what Blair said and what Imus said are not comparable.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Imus on his show, when talking to Mike Barnicle (who made a complete fool of himself saying this was a chance for Imus to change and heal, and this was God's blessing to him) said that he would pray for help to the 8lb 7oz Talladega baby Jesus.

Pretty funny.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

One of the unfortunate things about the occasional crack pot making up genetic proclivities across an entire race is it obscures the overwhelming importance of culture. Religion's redeeming virtue is as a transmitter, even a leavener and galvanizer of productive elements of culture.

PC extremists love to talk about "environmental" factors but shy away from addressing "cultural" factors, as if they were not the same thing. They're the same thing. (Jared Diamond, whom I admire, is guilty of this dogmatic hair splitting.)

The more one becomes steeped in the entire arc of recorded history the clearer becomes the dispositive importance of culture.

Clear thinking people recognize that across races assigning differences in gene pool traits is pure conjecture and harmful, to say the least. But all cultures are most emphatically NOT of equal merit in terms of their capacity to enrich the lives of their members and adhereants intellectually, spiritually and physically. They just aren't. Isn't that self-evident?

You have more artfully articulated an opinion that I have expressed and believe. Much of black America's failure is its culture and lack of positive leadership. Its culture was formed unfortunately through slavery and oppression, but it has not developed in a manner that naturally enhances the prospects of its participants.

A child growing up in America's urban black subculture does not have a great a chance of succeeding as if that same child were to be adopted and reared in almost any other subculture.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

So culture is specific and monolithic? If so, what then is White culture? Is it Spam, monster trucks, 4 wheelers, and mullets or is it classical music, finse wine, and cheese? Cultural definitions are really hard, because they are diffuse. If definitions are hard then value judgments are even harder.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

If Bill Cosby, a black man, can make comments critical of black culture and almost by lynched, think what would happen to a prominent white man if he said it.

What I thought was kind of interesting was that was said at a "knife crime summit."

Maybe they are going to ban knives in Britain. In ten years, they will attend a "wooden club summit." And they will eat steak with their hands.
Interesting. So is Blair a Klansman?

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6793

I noticed you haven't condemned him yet. Would you like to join our group as well?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
So culture is specific and monolithic? If so, what then is White culture? Is it Spam, monster trucks, 4 wheelers, and mullets or is it classical music, finse wine, and cheese? Cultural definitions are really hard, because they are diffuse. If definitions are hard then value judgments are even harder.
Yes, but value judgments must be and are made by each one of us. They are indispensable. But value judgments are to a large extent personal and subjective, and not right or wrong. but to a significant extent they are.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
(Jared Diamond, whom I admire, is guilty of this dogmatic hair splitting.)
I have not finished Guns, Germs and Steel yet, but am about half through. At any number of points he talks about "culture" and I have thought, what the hell does he mean by that? He doesn't define it. Maybe that comes later, but so far it seems like a catch-all for the unexplained.