cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Can you have a "favorite band" if you don't watch them live?

Do you all go to rock concerts? I think that if you're past 30 and/or have kids rock concerts shoud be behind you. The last concert I saw was in Achorage, AK in 1987. I was 29 and childless. Even then it was the Moody Blues, which slightly preceded my generation. But I bet I've been to 25 of them give or take.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:59 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Do you all go to rock concerts? I think that if you're past 30 and/or have kids rock concerts shoud be behind you. The last concert I saw was in Achorage, AK in 1987. I was 29 and childless. Even then it was the Moody Blues, which slightly preceded my generation. But I bet I've been to 25 of them give or take.
I have not been to a concert since 1982. Wow.

From 1976 to 82, I went to dozens, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, ZZTops and others, and then those horrible concerts at the MC.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I go to shows pretty regularly. Though I am still young and single. Next show, Damien Rice at McKay Events Center.

I'd say that most of the shows I go to rarely have anyone over 30. I did see Cartel and The Early November a few months ago who opened for New Found Glory and I felt old at that show. I'd say half the crowd was 20 or younger.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I go to shows pretty regularly. Though I am still young and single. Next show, Damien Rice at McKay Events Center.

I'd say that most of the shows I go to rarely have anyone over 30. I did see Cartel and The Early November a few months ago who opened for New Found Glory and I felt old at that show. I'd say half the crowd was 20 or younger.
It's great to be young. Enjoy it. I hope you aren't retaining your virginity.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have not been to a concert since 1982. Wow.

From 1976 to 82, I went to dozens, Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, ZZTops and others, and then those horrible concerts at the MC.
I caught ZZ Top last year when they came to UVSC. They (and the audience - everyone but me that is) looked pretty old, but they sounded great.

I also caught Lyle Lovett last year at Red Rocks at the U.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Last concert I ever went to: Aerosmith's Permanent Vacation tour. 1987-1988ish. Not only do I not go to concerts any more, I just don't listen to music that much anymore as well.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of years ago, Washington DC had a great outdoor concert series where they would invite a variety of bands to perform about a mile away from the national capitol. It was very cool...they would have them once a week over a 2-month period...we saw bands such as Live (a terrific band in person), Everclear (their lead singer Art Alexkasis is very personable and really brings the crowd into it), Blues Traveler (I liked it but didn't love the performance), etc. It was a great environment to catch some music.

Over the past 10 years, I have been to quite a few concerts in large venues and smaller venues but I haven't been to a live concert though in a couple of years. And yes, you can be a fan of a band you haven't seen live, but it sure makes you appreciate you a band more when you can see them in person.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea how many concerts I've seen. Suffice it to say that it's a whole lot of 'em.

Last show I saw was Oct. 24th, 1994 - Oingo Boingo's 2nd to last show ever. It was awesome. They played at the Delta Center and it lasted 4 1/2 hours.

Concerts are more fun when you're younger. Now, they're too loud, but if Boingo was ever to reunite and do a show in SLC, I'd be there and take my family.

And yes, you can have a favorite band if you haven't seen them live.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 04-16-2007 at 06:16 AM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

The last concert I went to was George Clinton and Parliament for Homecoming at the U of A. It lasted for about 3 hours and it was incredible. It was free and it was after the bonfire for families, so we brought along the youngster who was 3 at the time. She loved it. The child obviously has funk in her blood. Maybe it's because she is named after Motown. I just regret that she and I never got to see James Brown together before he died.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I used to go to a ton of concerts, but not so much in the past 5 years or so. Only occasionaly here and there.