cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road
Default Ratatouille

This movie is proof positive that I am an absolute food snob and hopeless (in more than one way) amateur gourmand. I absolutely loved this movie, beginning to end. Favorite Pixar movie ever, and one of my favorite movies ever. Kids be damned - I want this one for myself.

<minor spoiler>

The final cooking sequence was one of the most cringe/gag inducing moments I have ever encountered in a movie. I believe it was intended to be that way.

<end minor spoiler>

The movie making and general writing was so good, I don't even remember if the CG animation was stellar or not. Usually that's one of the things I look for. I completely forgot this time - for all I remember, it was done with popsicle sticks and play-doh.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It was a cute movie but I didn't love it as much as you apparantly did. It made me want to try the dish Ratatouille.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
nikuman

I think very few people will love it as much as I do. I've spent far too much time on the food snob circuit in NYC, so the mentality in general really appealed to me. I used to style myself as a plebeian version of Anton Ego.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I saw it yesterday morning and loved it. It was a bit long (2 hours) so my youngest got a little bored halfway through. The writing was great though. And the expressions on the rat's face were excellent.

For those interested, there is a 10 minutes video podcast/trailer on iTunes that gives you a good feel for the movie.

Highly recommend for anyone with kids, young or old.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I saw it yesterday morning and loved it. It was a bit long (2 hours) so my youngest got a little bored halfway through. The writing was great though. And the expressions on the rat's face were excellent.

For those interested, there is a 10 minutes video podcast/trailer on iTunes that gives you a good feel for the movie.

Highly recommend for anyone with kids, young or old.
You can also just watch it online at www.ratatouille.com. It looks entertaining, much better than Cars.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It made me want to try the dish Ratatouille.
I can attest that it is good stuff. I had great Ratatouille sandwich a few weeks ago in a bistro type place in San Diego. Yum. On my mission we would buy in in cans and eat it over couscous.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw the film yesterday. It had several merits. First, it got me out of the 100 degree sun and into a cool, cool theatre. Huzzah! Second, absolutely amazing graphics. Third, an amusing story. Fourth, the short film at the beginning was hilarious, and funnier than anything in Ratatouille itself.

It is worth seeing if you have kids. If not, wait for the DVD but it is still worht a netflix rental.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 AM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Fourth, the short film at the beginning was hilarious, and funnier than anything in Ratatouille itself.
I had forgotten about the short film. Yes, that was a good laugh, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it was better than anything in the movie. The first restaurant kitchen scene was pretty dang funny and the first puppeteer scene had me laughing out loud.

And yes, it was awful nice to be out of the 113 degree heat yesterday.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

I took the kids to see this yesterday. The theater was packed and there were a lot of adults that did not have children with them. I thought it was a great movie, but it dealt with a subject matter that I love--gourmet food.

As far as being a movie your kids will love? Well, the other Pixar movies are probably more their speed. All kids are interested in stories about toys, bugs, monsters, fish, superheroes and cars, but I'm guessing it's the rare child who is fascinated with fine food.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
nikuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
All kids are interested in stories about toys, bugs, monsters, fish, superheroes and cars, but I'm guessing it's the rare child who is fascinated with fine food.
My 5 year old daughter loved the movie, but she's into fine food (to the extent she knows what it is).