cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Changes I'd like to see made in the Book of Mormon

I'd like to see these verses removed:

2 Nephi 5:21:

"And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, and they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

3 Nephi 2:15:

"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."

Besides being racist, the foregoing are too suggestive of Lamanites being Chickasaws or such.

I'd like to see the Isaiah passsages removed. I'm not sure what they add to the story, and they're not original. At least Tolstoy's philosophical digressions in War and Peace were his own original work.

I'd like the stuff taken from the KJV to be replaced by a more avant guard translation.

Not sure about the references to Old World animals, wheels and steel; I think it may be a worthy experiment in magical realism. I mean, in 100 Years of Solitude Marquez wrote about flying carpets in South America.

Any more ideas?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, let's start doing stuff like this so it'll become the garbled mess the Bible is.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

"And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, and they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

"And their curse was taken from them, and their skin became white like unto the Nephites."

Besides being racist, the foregoing are too suggestive of Lamanites being Chickasaws or such.

I'd like to see the Isaiah passsages removed. I'm not sure what they add to the story, and they're not original. At least Tolstoy's philosophical digressions in War and Peace were his own original work.

I'd like the stuff taken from the KJV to be replaced by a more avant guard translation.

Not sure about the references to Old World animals, wheels and steel; I think it may be a worthy experiment in magical realism. I mean, in 100 Years of Solitude Marquez wrote about flying carpets in South America.

Any more ideas?
Have you ever considered starting your own religion? You seem to have a lot of good ideas.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

SU, what shall I do?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Any more ideas?

smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Any more ideas?
It's too bad the guys that wrote all that stuff have been dead for a thousand years or two. I'd like to see a cage match between SeattleUte and Nephi, or Moroni.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

While I don't think anything like this would ever happen, I don't think any reasonable person would argue at this point that dark skin is a curse from God, so these verses aren't any less wrong than the BoM introduction was. It is just a lot more difficult to change the actual "most correct of any book" than it is to change a non-canonical addition written by an over-zealous apostle.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm amused by how people seem to have such a firm grasp on what God will or won't do. If it is a given that He created the Universe, then everything else seems perfectly plausible, given the right circumstances.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's too bad the guys that wrote all that stuff have been dead for a thousand years or two. I'd like to see a cage match between SeattleUte and Nephi, or Moroni.

SU would probably get his ass kicked, but it wouldn't fair. Everyone knows those guys were on the juice.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm amused by how people seem to have such a firm grasp on what God will or won't do.
Ah, at last. Some common ground between SU and Indy. I agree with this statement.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote