cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Lady Cougars
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duke volleyball racist slur

Might be the first time ever BYU women have made the front page of ESPN.

I have not been able to comment on CB because of the moderation and the limits on my account.

We have no reason to disbelieve the Duke player's account. I would assume it is true. Although it would be nice to have some confirmation that others heard it. Is that the case? The quality of journalism in America is so low, that one can hardly expect any legwork to actually occur.

However let's imagine a scenario where BYU officials did legwork, and every student in the student section claims that they didn't hear the use of a slur. I don't think BYU would try to go against the allegation, because that would just raise the issue again in the national media. Best to remediate and have it go away. The scenario of a false accusation is unlikely though.

People forget how isolated the upper Western US is. I had a BYU classmate that claimed she had never spoken to a black person in her life. She was from rural Washington. That kind of blew my mind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote