cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 05:03 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Paradise Now

I watched Paradise Now last week. Here is the summary:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445620/

I came in with low expectations but was very pleasantly surprised. The movie was filmed on a low budget, but the script, acting, and overall storyline were outstanding. The story takes place over 2-3 days and the two main characters are a couple of Palestinians in Nablus who are recruited for a suicide bombing in Tel Aviv. Since the focus of the story is on the Palestinian characters and largely takes place in Nablus, you tend to get a sympathetic view of the Palestinians, but it is by no means a pro-terrorist movie. Both the pro- and anti-terror sides are displayed quite eloquently. Fascinating story.

The director has won several awards for this movie. He is an Israeli Arab. The movie is in Arabic with English subtitles. One F-bomb in the subtitles. No other language, violence, or sex.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #2
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to 2nd the nomination of this film as an extremely enlightening and intriguing look into the political situation in the Middle East right now.

I would also add these two other films as a great lens through which to consider current events:

The Battle of Algiers -- deals with French occupied Algiers and the terrorist uprising to force the French out of the country. Touches on topics of terrorism, torture, foreign occupying forces and resistance fighters. The film is in black and white, but the subject may as well have been ripped from the headlines. One of my all-time favorite movies, and Criterion has created an excellent DVD copy of this film.

Syriana -- came out on DVD recently. Notable quote from fictional Prince Nasir Al-Subaai: When a country has five percent of the world's population but spends fifty percent of the world's military spending, that country's persuasive power is in decline.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
I am going to 2nd the nomination of this film as an extremely enlightening and intriguing look into the political situation in the Middle East right now.

I would also add these two other films as a great lens through which to consider current events:

The Battle of Algiers -- deals with French occupied Algiers and the terrorist uprising to force the French out of the country. Touches on topics of terrorism, torture, foreign occupying forces and resistance fighters. The film is in black and white, but the subject may as well have been ripped from the headlines. One of my all-time favorite movies, and Criterion has created an excellent DVD copy of this film.

Syriana -- came out on DVD recently. Notable quote from fictional Prince Nasir Al-Subaai: When a country has five percent of the world's population but spends fifty percent of the world's military spending, that country's persuasive power is in decline.
Syriana was boring.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Lame quote. Very shallow.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #5
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
Lame quote. Very shallow.
Watch the movie. I'm sure you will find a better quote.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Watch the movie. I'm sure you will find a better quote.
I will watch it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote