cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default faith and politics

I can't decide if this goes in religion or politics, but we'll try here.

So, McCain and Obama are both appearing at a forum tomorrow to discuss faith and politics. The forum's being hosted by Rick Warren, an evangelical author and minister who has a huge sphere of influence among the conservative Christian voters most likely to support the religious right.

Now here's the cool thing. Rick Warren is not having a "we hate abortion and gays" fest. Instead, he's suggesting that it's time for morally-motivated voters to think bigger than just abortion and gay-marriage. This is not new thinking - there are other ministers who have suggested the same over the years - but in the those ministers were primarily pastors of progressive, liberal Churches. You know, the kind that teach that Genesis is allegory and that Jesus probably isn't physically coming back. So their political thoughts were met with resistance and even hostility by theologically-conservative Christians. This is the first time we've had a hard-core conservative evangelical propose a new kind of thinking about the role of faith in politics.

I, for one, am thrilled. I feel that narrowminded focus of the religious right is woefully inadequate to meet the very real needs of a complex society, and that their thinking has controlled Republican politics for far too long. Are we finally going to move into a post-religious-right politics? I think it's possible.

It's worth mentioning, though, that in response to the faith forum tomorrow, Mike Huckabee and another pastor are hosting an alternate event, designed to keep the focus on the "great foundational issues of abortion and marriage." So we know that there are always going to be those who stick to the simplicity of a two-plank political platform. And that's okay. But if we can get enough of the social conservatives to broaden their thinking on the role of morality/faith in politics, perhaps we can finally limit the ability of the Huckabees to continue to control politics in this country.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I can't decide if this goes in religion or politics, but we'll try here.

So, McCain and Obama are both appearing at a forum tomorrow to discuss faith and politics. The forum's being hosted by Rick Warren, an evangelical author and minister who has a huge sphere of influence among the conservative Christian voters most likely to support the religious right.

Now here's the cool thing. Rick Warren is not having a "we hate abortion and gays" fest. Instead, he's suggesting that it's time for morally-motivated voters to think bigger than just abortion and gay-marriage. This is not new thinking - there are other ministers who have suggested the same over the years - but in the those ministers were primarily pastors of progressive, liberal Churches. You know, the kind that teach that Genesis is allegory and that Jesus probably isn't physically coming back. So their political thoughts were met with resistance and even hostility by theologically-conservative Christians. This is the first time we've had a hard-core conservative evangelical propose a new kind of thinking about the role of faith in politics.

I, for one, am thrilled. I feel that narrowminded focus of the religious right is woefully inadequate to meet the very real needs of a complex society, and that their thinking has controlled Republican politics for far too long. Are we finally going to move into a post-religious-right politics? I think it's possible.

It's worth mentioning, though, that in response to the faith forum tomorrow, Mike Huckabee and another pastor are hosting an alternate event, designed to keep the focus on the "great foundational issues of abortion and marriage." So we know that there are always going to be those who stick to the simplicity of a two-plank political platform. And that's okay. But if we can get enough of the social conservatives to broaden their thinking on the role of morality/faith in politics, perhaps we can finally limit the ability of the Huckabees to continue to control politics in this country.
No I don't think we will ever move past religious right politics but the influence will wax and wain. Just as Democrats will never be fully free of some of the extreme thinkers on their fringe, we will never be free of these people because they are Republicans and there are A LOT of them AND they vote. They had their hay day in the first Bush term and just as Bush conservatism is currently on the outs, so too are they as is evidenced by the fact that they don't have a candidate in the Presidential election.

During the first Obama term the far left will have its hay day and public sentiment will pull things again to the center as it always the case. I think the most we can hope for is a lessening of their influence, but Republicans will always need them.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That is refreshing. The fact they were able to get both Obama and McCain on the agenda gives me some relief that someone in each of those campaigns recognizes there are voters frustrated with the domination of the ultra-conservatives in the Republican Party but uncomfortable with the liberal platform of the Democratic Party--e.g., universal health care.

I would love to see those that want to restrict their political focus to abortion and marriage forced to the fringe or their own party rather than the reverse. This is the first time in quite a while that the cynic in me has been put into a corner, though I don't expect that to last long.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
That is refreshing. The fact they were able to get both Obama and McCain on the agenda gives me some relief that someone in each of those campaigns recognizes there are voters frustrated with the domination of the ultra-conservatives in the Republican Party but uncomfortable with the liberal platform of the Democratic Party--e.g., universal health care.

I would love to see those that want to restrict their political focus to abortion and marriage forced to the fringe or their own party rather than the reverse. This is the first time in quite a while that the cynic in me has been put into a corner, though I don't expect that to last long.
why, is Jesus against healthcare for all?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Jesus loves liberty. He loves capitalism.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do I think Jesus concerns himself with whether government-run programs or charitable institutions are the best approach to love-thy-neighbor? No.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm guessing Jesus would heal people for free with his power rather than through higher taxes for everyone.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm guessing Jesus would heal people for free with his power rather than through higher taxes for everyone.
Duh! It's not higher taxes for everyone. Just rich guys like Archaea and Seattle.

;-)
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Duh! It's not higher taxes for everyone. Just rich guys like Archaea and Seattle.

;-)
So Arch and SU are the only guys making more than $85K?

I knew they were doing good, but not that good. Dang.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

As a follow up to this thread, I was actually in my car last night and got to listen to most of this.

Here is Michael Gershon's take on it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

He absolutely right. If you didn't hear it, you need to find it on the internet. It is well worth listening to and is the most important event of the campaign to date. Gershon is also correct that agree or disagree with him, McCain is much, much better at these sorts of things. I still believe this election is Obama's to lose, but after listening to both of them last night, I am becoming more convinced that it is not an accident that Obama doesn't have a big lead over McCain. I do not think it is hopeless for McCain. We'll see how this evolves.