cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #21
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few thoughts on alcohol in the Word of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk
I think the complete prohibition of alcohol is simply to prevent the more serious problems that inevitably come with it.
Anything taken to the extreme is dangerous. Presciption drugs can be abused, but we don't prohibit them. As has been discussed, food consumption can be abused and the results are nearly as dangerous.

I know lots of people who drink, but very few that drink to excess. If someone does have a problem with drinking to excess, then the best thing they can do is give it up completely, and I admire you for doing so. I just don't agree that it's a good idea to prohibit it for everybody just because some people have a problem with it.

I used to drink quite a bit, and I can honestly say that I would much rather go to a party where alcohol was served than to most of the parties I go to now where all you have is Sprite and Bunko.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:06 PM   #22
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

While a missionary in Oxford, MS (at Ole Miss campus), a young student named Brad drank a six-pack of Coronas in front of Elder Clarno and I while talking about his gospel beliefs. He asked, "Where in the bible does it say that Jesus did not drop acid?"

I thought about it, and figure the closest thing was when he was upon the cross and refused the vinegar and hyssop that would have dulled the pain. Makes me wonder, any time I drink a mountain dew for a pick me up or take a second piece of pie simply to indulge, am I letting my body overrule my spirit.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #23
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Makes me wonder, any time I drink a mountain dew for a pick me up or take a second piece of pie simply to indulge, am I letting my body overrule my spirit.
What is the big deal about having a body if we can't indulge it? The next time I come home from a business trip and find my wife waiting for me in her black teddy¹, I'm not going to decline her advances on the pretext of not letting my body overrule my spirit. I'm going to see to it that my body wins in a rout.

1. The account of my wife's teddy is pure invention and was used solely as a rhetorical device. Come to think of it, the whole notion that my wife would demand sex is also something of an invention. But if the unthinkable did happen and my wife did demand sex, I would surely indulge myself. That is my point.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default the thought of any wife demanding sex

requires more faith in myth, than believing in the Easter Bunny, an honest lawyer, Santa Claus, that OJ was innocent, UFOs and that Richard Simmons isn't gay, combined.

A wife demanding sex? I just about fell out of my chair.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:41 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: the thought of any wife demanding sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

A wife demanding sex? I just about fell out of my chair.
Me too, except I fell out of a sex swing.

ops:
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:54 AM   #26
Hazzard

Hazzard

Arch, your new picture is a significant upgrade over the one with the girl and the bike. The previous girl looked way too '80's. The new girl is ... perfect.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:08 AM   #27
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah Arch, is that the same gal?

Now I know why some guys like the beach.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #28
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see non sequitor staying true to his moniker by comparing prescription drugs to alcohol. I also wonder how many people you know who drink, to not know many that drink to excess. I'm immersed in the college atmosphere right now and that's all these kids think about -- well, that and the discussion that followed. And this was true even with the grad students I was with, many of whom were well into their 30s. And isn't public intoxication the take-home portion of any state's Bar exam? And if you served a mission in Latin America you know how alcohol destroys people.

I think mp said it well in his post -- and this coming from a law student!
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #29
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Re: A few thoughts on alcohol in the Word of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
I know lots of people who drink, but very few that drink to excess. If someone does have a problem with drinking to excess, then the best thing they can do is give it up completely, and I admire you for doing so. I just don't agree that it's a good idea to prohibit it for everybody just because some people have a problem with it.
Maybe I went a little too far saying it is inevitable that people will start drinking to excess. I probably said that because I am around law students and the majority not only drink, but could be classified as alcoholics. In fact i believe the legal profession as a whole has a problem with this and it probably starts in law school. I do still think it is wise to simply avoid alcohol though, to prevent the possibility of the problems associated with it coming up.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:31 AM   #30
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

God is very up front as to why the Word of Wisdom was given:

"In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation"

Yes, Jesus drank wine. It was probably even alcoholic, despite what other Mormons will tell you. Noah definitely got drunk, if you believe the current translation of the KJV. But we are told that because of the dangers common to this period (and, we are led to assume, this period only), the Word of Wisdom has been instituted.

I think of the word of wisdom the same way I think of a commandment to run into the middle of the Red Sea. It was a commandment given to God's people as a whole at one particular point in time in history, not necessarily to be observed by other people. Those who obey the commandment survive and those who don't suffer the consequences.
All-American is offline   Reply With Quote