cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 AM   #11
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug
My former boss, a plaintiff's attorney, was actually asked in his temple recommend interview by our stake president how he reconciled his vocation with the principles of the gospel.
I wonder if President Faust and Elder Oaks were asked the same.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:10 AM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
was fanny alger beautiful or something?

ive heard people say fanny algers and joseph never married and thus the accusation of adultery....

of course my knowledge is little and something i read i cannot remember where but will search for it.
This subject is covered pretty well in Bushman's J.S. biography. You'll find it on pages 323-327. It appears that from the accounts from both friends and enemies of the church that Joseph and Fanny were indeed married.

Bushman makes the point that Joseph approached Fanny's parents and then Fanny herself via an uncle. All 3 consented and Joseph and Fanny were sealed. Fanny left Kirtland in Sept 1836 and married a non-mormon. Here's a quote from the book: "After Joeseph's death, Alger's brother asked her about her relationship with the Prophet. She replied: 'That is all a matter of my- own. And I have nothing to Communicate.'"
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:12 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When I have time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Regarding polyandry, I know it is a tough pill to swallow, but the justification (if you swallow it) is that Joseph was told certain women were his. They agreed to be his when presented with the concept. Since plural marriage was secret at the time, Joseph was content to take them for 'eternity' as his, yet allow them to continue living for 'time' with a temporal spouse. That does not mean he did not enjoy his rightful conjugal visits . :lol:
I hope someone doesn't take that liberty with my wife!

Farrah, if any dude says he's married to for eternity and needs a little taste now, don't listen! He's lying!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:13 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I will ask "friend" about Oliver Cowdery. Friend just finished a biography of Oliver, so I am sure he will have some opinions on the subject.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote