cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

wow, socalcoug, that's awful.

I wonder what I'd do. I'd be so tempted to give him a piece of my mind. I think he represents a good chance to not sustain, if he is called to anything. the ol' "anyone opposed?"

I found out a child sex offender lives 4 doors down from me. I discovered this last night. I had waved to him when I saw him. Now I'm going to watch him like a hawk. Good thing I have multiple weapons.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 AM   #12
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default SoCal I can feel for you...

my firm has several clients from my ward. I don't do domestic, except for occasionally filling in in a pinch, but I'm aware anyway. Actually, we have a couple PI cases from the ward and though I can't obviously give details, I defended a discovery deposition for one ward member that had me checking my ears by the time it was over. Nothing that was a worthiness issue, just some BIZZARE stuff.

Anyway. I have had the talk with all of our clients from the ward (we are the biggest firm in a small but exploding area so its a small world) or someone has explaining that my lips are sealed. I can't imagine what I woudl learn in the attorney client context that I could or would want to reveal to a priesthood authority. It may be wrong, but I decided when I took this job that if there was ever a close call I was going to err on the side of not jeopardizing my license.

We do criminal and have had some pretty despicable clients. It we had a kiddy toucher in the ward I don't think it would be out of line to let a bishop know things that are public record, but even so I'm not sure. That would be such a tough call and I would really tread lightly.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not 100% positive on this but I believe those who are divorced with children, are asked in their temple recommend interview if they are current on their applicable alimony and child support payments.

The guy who SoCal talked about.....I guess technically he could answer yes to that question, since he is not legally bound to keep paying because of the loophole. Morally bound yes, legally bound no.

Wow.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default I can clarify that.

Any person who is obligated to pay support is asked whether they are doing so. Of course that is predicated on the authority being aware of the obligation.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:14 PM   #15
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
I would just want to make sure the person didn't ever have a calling that involved the youth.
whoa, whoa. Hold on here people. The designation of "sex offender" is far more easily earned than some might think. We need to be careful not to rush to judgment based on such a broadly interpreted designation.

I have a situation where someone close to me is going to end up with this label for the rest of his life. I do not hesitate to trust him with my children or in a calling with the youth, etc. There is nothing permanently evil or predatory about this individual, and it has been very difficult to see him go through the process.

Anyway, that's my quick two cents on the matter. As for the original question, it's a tough one because in some cases careful care and extra vigilance may be appropriate, whereas in many others the 'offender' is not a risk to anyone.
OhioBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:25 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
whoa, whoa. Hold on here people. The designation of "sex offender" is far more easily earned than some might think. We need to be careful not to rush to judgment based on such a broadly interpreted designation...

...Anyway, that's my quick two cents on the matter. As for the original question, it's a tough one because in some cases careful care and extra vigilance may be appropriate, whereas in many others the 'offender' is not a risk to anyone.
You're correct. I assumed from the original question that we were talking about child molesters. However, I understand that one can be designated as a sex offender for several other things. When I said that I would want to make sure that person never worked with the youth I was referring to child molestation. Not statutory rape etc...
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

on the Texas sex offender website, one can see what the person was convicted of, and how old the victim was. For example, my neighboar was convicted of I believe aggravated sexual assault of child. An 8 year old girl.

Could he have been falsely convicted? Sure. Could he have pleaded to probation of some kind to avoid a possible long jail sentence, even though he didn't do anything? Sure. But I'll be damned if he's going to be anywhere near my kid.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 PM   #18
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Could he have been falsely convicted? Sure. Could he have pleaded to probation of some kind to avoid a possible long jail sentence, even though he didn't do anything? Sure. But I'll be damned if he's going to be anywhere near my kid.
Amen brother.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM   #19
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default Exactly. It's the child molestor and predator that we

should keep away from the youth. "Sex offender" doesn't necessarily they have committed a crime against little children.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #20
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall
This happened about 3 months ago.

There was a parent of a student at the Elementary School where my wife works who got out of jail after a 6-12 month stretch. According to the classroom teacher(my wife is the PE teacher), he was in for, among other things, sexual child abuse.

Anyhow, guess who shows up at church with the missionaries one Sunday? Yep, this guy. My wife was panicky.

I had her call the Bishop the same week. I figured that he needed to know(at least what we knew) in case it was true and in case that anything happened down the line. I didn't want to not tell anybody and then have something happen...

So he got baptised a few weeks later and comes every Sunday(as far as I can tell). Seems like a nice enough guy. I'm glad we told the Bishop, though.

Yesterday, my wife informs me that their 13 year old has been taken away by CPS.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote