cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 03:55 AM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

One kid leaving the church per family is not too bad, IMO.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: myboynoah is correct..

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I was talking about sheer numbers. It had nothing to do with faithfulness nor activity and I apologize if that's how it came across.
Sorry, I'm obviously a little sensitive to the issue. I think it started that during that testimony meeting in Rupert, Id. (sic) where the woman got up and started crying about her poor sister who moved out into the "mission field" (suburban Seattle) where the whole family would suffer because there weren't any members of the church. I noticed a bit of that mentality still when I was living in Utah last year -- granted, it was Utah County.

OTOH, I really would like to see some sort of empirical study aimed at where the "best" place is to raise good Mormon kids. Obviously there'd be some quibbling on the criteria (what does "best" mean? what's a "good kid"? how would families be separated out into demographic test groups? etc.), but with enough data, you could create a heck of a pivot table. I wonder if something like that already exists among some privileged echelon...

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

there would be a lot of confounders in such a study. For example if you were to compare people raised in Utah, who then moved out of state after college, versus those who did not.

You followed their kids, how many went on missions, etc.

Well it is a very different person that chooses to move away, versus the one who chooses to stay.

My guess, based on limited personal observation, is that missions probably highly correlate with family activity (duh) and educational status (parents education and kids's plans/likelihood to go to college).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:18 PM   #14
outlier

outlier is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to see activity rates measured against Meyers-Briggs personality profiles, too, FWIW.

o

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.
- W. Churchill
outlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'd like to see activity rates measured against Meyers-Briggs personality profiles, too, FWIW.
Good idea. Hasn't anyone ever done something like this? I suspect that they have for church attendance in general, but it seems like it would be very interesting with respect to the LDS community.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 PM   #16
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think that would be a fascinating study.

I'm an INFP, and I find that many things required of missionaries, such as striking up conversations with strangers, were very difficult for me. I felt like because I was very introverted, and forced outgoingness wore on me, that I wasn't a very good missionary, or that I wasn't doing the things I should.

I think there are many arenas - both church and work - where people would benefit from a better understanding of people's personalities, and their strengths and weaknesses. We often look at ESTJ's as more righteous than others, simply because they are natural leaders, and are more outgoing and charismatic and energetic. I can "pretend" to be an ESTJ, but it's really taxing on me. Thus, I'm not actively seeking to be in leadership positions.

Too often, people equate being extroverted with being righteous.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

On a sidenote, when I went on my mission, my home ward (SLC) had 33 missionaries out in the field. Now, that included four mission presidents and wives but man, that was pretty crazy. At one point, we had either a missionary farewell or homecoming for 9 out of 12 weeks. I have no idea what it is like now, but I would be shocked if there were more than 5-10 missionaries out from that ward.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote