cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any validity to this dudes claims?

basically saying the church continuously practiced polygamy even after the 1890 manifesto....

http://www.ldshistory.net/pc/postman.htm

i understand quinn is an exed member.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:29 PM   #2
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yes it is true

With somemore digging you will realize the Manifesto was not much more than a carefully crafted political document (not a revelation) which was designed in an attempt to "beat the devil at his own game" and remove pressure from the church. WW believed the 2nd coming was imminent. All but one or two of the 1st presidency and twelve took additional wives after the manifesto for years thereafter. Notice that marrying them in canada, Mexico, or in international waters was a loop-hole, and that is where most took place. Still some marriages took place in the states. Plural marriages finally started to come to a halt even by the heirarchy after 1905 when JFS was caught lying under oath before the U.S. senate, claiming polygamous marriages had ceased. This article you cited is a must read on the topic of post-manifesto polygamy and the politics involved.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

In the David O McKay book, the authors write that in '04 at General Conference, JFS read another statement, that was taken to be a "we mean it this time." It also says that two Apostles, John W Taylor and Matthias Cowley, were released subsequently for not renouncing it. One of the replacements for these two was DOM.
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't think I would ever want a plural wife, but I'm willing to hear more about "concubinage."
:roll:
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:38 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know how Brigham Young could stand having 46 wives. That's just 46 times as many chores to do around the house on weekends, and being told he does everything wrong 46 times more often.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

what about 46 concubines?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
With somemore digging you will realize the Manifesto was not much more than a carefully crafted political document (not a revelation) which was designed in an attempt to "beat the devil at his own game" and remove pressure from the church. WW believed the 2nd coming was imminent.
so let me get this straight....

we believe in following the laws except when it comes to polygamy? and i ask you a question, is this a form of apostacy on the part of these leaders of the church? hard for me to reconcile this one. not in the sense of testimony shaken, doubting the truthfulness, etc, just weird the window dressing.

interesting the early saints went from rejecting the notion to rushing to take plural wives even after they public denouncement. i do understand that many saints were worried since they were taught that you needed to take a plural wife to gain exaltation. is this accurate?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM   #8
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Most members did not like polygamy

They were taught it was essential for their salvation. The manifesto was a political document. The members were intended to see through it and understand it. Since they had been repeatedly taught of the importance of celestial marriage, it was thought they would recognize it was not given as a revelation and that they would go back to secrecy with the principle. However, since most members did not care for it, they took the opportunity to vote by common consent to uphold the manifesto. Oh boy, what a predicament the 1st pres was in on that one. Common consent governs the church and their political document had been upheld under that principal. So marriages that took place after the 1890 manifesto were fewer and further between, mostly by the most faithful brethren, including the 1st P and Q12.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote