cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spencer W. Kimball and Blacks and the Priesthood

Went to stake priesthood leadership mtg tonight and our Stake President spoke about receiving revelation. He is a good speaker (he always quotes J. Golden Kimball). In fact, tonight's JGK quote was about leadership in the church. "You are here for one of four reasons. Revelation, inspiration, desperation, or relation."

Anyway, he ended his talk with a 20 minute account of the steps leading up to SWK announcing the end of the ban. It was a process that took several years. All the way to the prayer with the 12, described apparently by some (or one) apostles to have been what he imagined the day of pentecost to be. Moving account.

I think I'm going to email him for his source.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:38 AM   #2
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Just following along with my own discovery of Dialogue and its free archives -- I knew the U had to be of some use other than major physics finds -- I began my search for these related issues. The earliest I found right after the revelation was in 1979.

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cgi-bin/...e&CISOPTR=5687

I haven't been able to read too much yet but there seem to be several articles on the subject.

I also want to read the previous issue for its discussion of Mormons and capital punishment. The wif and I had a (heated) discussion on this a couple of years ago -- not heated in the good way -- and I'm interested in following up. Anyway I think I can keep myself plenty occupied with these archives.

http://content.lib.utah.edu/cgi-bin/...e&CISOPTR=4434
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

This is from "Friend" (of the Adam-God thread):

Quote:
It was a conglomeration from biogrphies and sermons. My hunch is that much of it came from a new book on the presidebcy of swk. What is ineresting is that byu studies included a cd in the back of the book containing the authors original final draft. Deseret book refused to include some of the material.
This kind of pisses me off that Deseret would censor the book. But I guess, what pisses me off even more is that the author (probably in an attempt to appear more righteous by virtue of publishing with Deseret) allowed it to happen.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

In one of Elder Haight's final public appearances, he spoke at the graduation ceremony at the Institute of Religion at the U, May 2004. He shared his experience of being a member of the twelve during that process in the 1970's, and said when the twelve knelt in prayer with the first presidency, asking to know of what had been made manifest to President Kimball concerning the issue, that the outpouring of spirit was the greatest that he'd experienced during his tenure, leaving no room for disputation amongst any of them that the time had come and the policy changes were indeed the will of the Lord.

According to the documentation of Claire Meddlemiss, we know that there has been lack of harmony amongst the brethren concerning many issues: Harold B Lee and correlation, Joseph Fielding Smith and evolution, etc. But extending the priesthood was apparently something the Lord left no room for doubt amongst the leaders of the church, and I think that was absolutely necessary concerning the social biases and reservations that the brethren had observed their entire lives.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:58 AM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I remember an interview with Sterling McMurrin. . .

I remember reading an interview with Sterling McMurrin where he recounts a conversation he had with David O. MacKay in the 1950's. During the conversation President MacKay said that Blacks not being able to hold the priesthood was not a doctrine of the Church and that it had never been a doctrine of the Church. He said that it was a "practice" in the Church and that it was a practice that would be changed. This was some 25 years before the revelation. Pretty interesting interview.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spencer W. Kimball and Blacks and the Priesthood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
In fact, tonight's JGK quote was about leadership in the church. "You are here for one of four reasons. Revelation, inspiration, desperation, or relation."
Great quote. It's even better if you read it in the voice of Cajun Man.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote