cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Utah vs. Wyoming

Well, the only thing that KW really did was take the focus off of a dominating performance and put it squarly on his shoulders. Not smart...not smart at all.

First things first...the "kick heard round the Wasatch front."

It was a stupid stupid stupid move by KW and his staff. I can understand running some of the other so-called trick plays because you want to get that on film to give your final three opponents more to look at...but an onsides kick in that situation was ridiculous. It was a classless moment by an otherwise classy individual.

I know that many will jump on Whit and say he is classless and showed his true colors, and that's fine...I won't make excuses for the onside kick, because there is no excuse for that at all. I do however, think that KWhit will eventually back off his post game comments and will at some point say that that was a little much.

KW is a proud man, and doesn't like to admit when he is wrong (see putting Grady in vs. UCLA last year). But he usually comes around upon reflection. I think most coaches are like that...in the heat of battle, you're not going to get rational comments or justifications.

I think that Kyle has had a rough go of it as HC at Utah in terms of expectations and following Meyer, and it seemed obvious to me that he was exercising some demons in this game against Wyoming for whatever reason.

As for the game itself. I thought it was a great performance by the Utes. They did exactly what they needed to do and then some to get the win. 50-0 is quite a statement, and unfortunately, it'll be overshadowed by the stupid call on the onsides kick...and mark my words, that will be a distraction and topic of discussion around the Utes all week. Not good when you've got two huge games left.

Finally, I think that KW will have learned the most in his coaching career from this season. From 27-0 to 50-0, and everything in between and still to come, KW will certainly learn. But I think the most valuable lesson he will learn is when the Utes likely fall short of the conference title...because that will teach him that there are no "gimmies" and that he has to have his team prepared to play week in and week out...and hopefully he won't go around guaranteeing victory either.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

he has absolutely got to find a way to get the team to play like they are capable every single week. that is my complaint about whit as a fan. i hope you are right, and that he does admit the onside kick was classless.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:26 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that the onside kick was classless, but I'm not going to fret about it. And I agree that KW will eventually admit that he shouldn't have called for it at that point in the game.

I will, however, continue to get a laugh at the Y who are melting down about it. That alone is top notch entertainment. It's funny enough what's they're doing on utefans and I really enjoyed Rocky's post about his thoughts of Ute fans reaction to BYU fans crying about it, but I can only imagine what it's like over on Jefe's board. Somewhere in the Dallas metroplex, Coug has probably had a coronary and is in emergency surgery.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
OrangeUte

i have got to go over to these other boards to see what the hell goes on there. they come up so often on this board that it makes me wonder what i'm missing.

as for the utes, i'm over the onside kick, and feeling very good about an ass kicking on crazy joe glenn and his cowboys. i am thinking about flying into slc to watch the unm game next week - will just have to think a bit more about that one. the byu game should be interesting. the utes' defense has me very impressed after today, and the offense is opening up. it will be a competitive game.

i am excited about all of these young guys that are getting involved.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

The best time to read each board is on Jefe's board after a BYU loss and utefans after a Ute loss.

It brings out the trolls from everywhere.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
The best time to read each board is on Jefe's board after a BYU loss and utefans after a Ute loss.

It brings out the trolls from everywhere.
i will hope to visit that board after a ute win on 11/24!
Old 11-11-2007, 03:18 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i will hope to visit that board after a ute win on 11/24!
You will not be disappointed should that happen. Unlike Glenn, that is a guarantee I can make that will hold true.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:03 AM   #8
dut99002

dut99002 is on a distinguished road

Nice post. Nice thoughts.

I didn't see any of the game (just checked the gametracker off and on), so I didn't see the situation as it happened. I don't really see any logical or good reason to make the call to kick it onside--it sounds more of an emotional decision. Unfortunately, he probably won't live it down now, especially with *some* BYU fans. I wish that he wouldn't have done it.

Now they need to get ready for New Mexico and kick themselves in the rear for dropping the ball earlier in the season against UNLV. BYU has executed well enough throughout the season to be in a comfy, two game lead and now we Ute fans can only pray that they slip up so that Utah has a chance to win the conference title.

I must say though, things have gotten better since the train wreck of a beginning. There was little hope after the major injuries and the loss to AFA and UNLV.
dut99002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dut99002 View Post
Nice post. Nice thoughts.

I didn't see any of the game (just checked the gametracker off and on), so I didn't see the situation as it happened. I don't really see any logical or good reason to make the call to kick it onside--it sounds more of an emotional decision. Unfortunately, he probably won't live it down now, especially with *some* BYU fans. I wish that he wouldn't have done it.

Now they need to get ready for New Mexico and kick themselves in the rear for dropping the ball earlier in the season against UNLV. BYU has executed well enough throughout the season to be in a comfy, two game lead and now we Ute fans can only pray that they slip up so that Utah has a chance to win the conference title.

I must say though, things have gotten better since the train wreck of a beginning. There was little hope after the major injuries and the loss to AFA and UNLV.
New Mexico has had our number over the past few years...or forever...and this game has letdown written all over it. One of the signs as to whether or not Kwhit has turned the corner as a coach here will be a win over UNM next weekend.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
New Mexico has had our number over the past few years...or forever...and this game has letdown written all over it. One of the signs as to whether or not Kwhit has turned the corner as a coach here will be a win over UNM next weekend.
Agreed. It's time for KW, the staff and the team to put the WYO game behind them and focus on UNM and nothing more.