cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
FWIW, this is from the Statement of the First Presidency regarding God’s Love for All Mankind, 15 Feb. 1978.

I guess right now, somewhere, Plato is telling Aristotle to eat his ass.
I'm fond of that FPS.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:17 AM   #12
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I guess right now, somewhere, Plato is telling Aristotle to eat his ass.
LOL....good one Solon.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If Hugh Nibley had written the statement he would have included Solon for whom he had great respect. He talk long and often about Solon in my BofM class during 1990-1991.
Solon might be considered the Father of Democracy, so he'd be well considered. He also receives credit I believe for pederasty.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course it isn't unique to BYU, but some of us would like to hope that BYU could be better then other places, more compassionate, more interested in right and truth over bureaucratic dickering and turf battles. Some of still hold onto the dream that BYU is different in important and wonderful ways--when the illusion is shattered it is sad.
BYU never has been and never will be perfect.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I
Of course it isn't unique to BYU, but some of us would like to hope that BYU could be better then other places, more compassionate, more interested in right and truth over bureaucratic dickering and turf battles. Some of still hold onto the dream that BYU is different in important and wonderful ways--when the illusion is shattered it is sad.
Some would hope but it'd be a false, illogical hope. No academic institution that is really interested in right and truth would have the restrictions that BYU does on academic freedom and free speech nor would it be the host to a religion apolgetics group.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #16
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some of still hold onto the dream that BYU is different in important and wonderful ways--when the illusion is shattered it is sad.
Let me strongly agree with Jeff. Certainly BYU is far from perfect, but I actually think BYU is different in important and wonderful ways. My professional interaction is fairly narrowly confined to my academic field but in ever respect over the last 5 years (including a lot of interaction over the past 6 months) my experience has easily met the above standard. Sure, my experience could certainly be idiosyncratic but no less idiosyncratic than the previous story and mine has the advantage of being a first-hand and not second hand.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Some would hope but it'd be a false, illogical hope. No academic institution that is really interested in right and truth would have the restrictions that BYU does on academic freedom and free speech nor would it be the host to a religion apolgetics group.
You're a one-trick pony, hyrum.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
I'm going to agree with Hyrum here. BYU serves it's core function, which is to turn out undergrad diplomas.

it is a colossal failure in terms of reaching it's potential, in all kinds of areas, including producing vibrant spiritual Latter-day Saints.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote