cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Palin has eclipsed Romney's star

and it happened in the blink of an eye.

Romney's head must be spinning.

Instead of being lauded as "ah, how great, maybe we should have picked him instead of McCain", it is now "Romney who?"

The NRO blogs are all talking about Palin running for president in the future.

Romney would be a very good head of the Republican party like Dean did. Raise a lot of money. It's not exactly clear to me how he comes back from this. He needs to really get something done between now and 4 years that makes the public take another look.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and it happened in the blink of an eye.

Romney's head must be spinning.

Instead of being lauded as "ah, how great, maybe we should have picked him instead of McCain", it is now "Romney who?"

The NRO blogs are all talking about Palin running for president in the future.

Romney would be a very good head of the Republican party like Dean did. Raise a lot of money. It's not exactly clear to me how he comes back from this. He needs to really get something done between now and 4 years that makes the public take another look.
Kind of like Jack Kemp in the 90s. He should have been nominated a bunch of times, but he had too much of a libertarian streak in him at a time when the Republicans were trying to become the Christian Right/Social Conservative party. He could have been a better president than either Bush was, and should have been running in the top spot in 96 instead of Dole.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

If McCain loses, especially if it were a big loss (not very likely IMO), she could be seen as damaged goods, which could help Romney. If you look at VP candidates who lost, the last three who subsequently got their party's nomination for president were Dole, Mondale (who had the advantage of already having been VP) and, way back in 1920, Franklin Roosevelt, who lost the VP election, but made good a few years later. Obviously the nomination process pre-1968 was different, but it's interesting that the losers of the last 21 elections had a hard time moving forward. She is different than a lot of these folks, though. She's not old and washed up, like a Bentsen, or tied to a failed administration, like a Mondale. At least so far, she has shown the ability to energize the party.

having said that, I still think Palin is a high risk/high reward choice for McCain. I've been impressed with her so far, and think she has worked out well, but I don't see the convention as the toughest test she'll face. If she has a George Allen moment, or pulls a Stockdale at a debate, she could lose favor quickly. Unless Biden puts everyone to sleep first and they don't hear her.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
FMCoug

FMCoug

If he loses, Palin may very well be John McCain's legacy. And in some ways, that may be what he was after. A young maverick to replace the aging maverick ...
Old 09-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

2012 is such a long time away. If there's one thing we should learn from all this, it's that you have no idea what the field will look like in 4 years.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

The same could be said had McCain picked any other non-Romney candidate.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The same could be said had McCain picked any other non-Romney candidate.
Yes but maybe not to the same degree. Palin has something NO Republican candidate has had in a LONG time (maybe even since Reagan) ... charisma / star power.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Yes but maybe not to the same degree. Palin has something NO Republican candidate has had in a LONG time (maybe even since Reagan) ... charisma / star power.
Since Reagan?? Holy cow, McCain should step aside and let her run for president.

She certainly has more charisma than McCain. I like the guy, but he can be awfully boring.

I wonder how long this charisma will last?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Since Reagan?? Holy cow, McCain should step aside and let her run for president.

She certainly has more charisma than McCain. I like the guy, but he can be awfully boring.

I wonder how long this charisma will last?
It will be interesting to see. Seriously, name a Republican since Reagan who captivated a crowd like she did last night? I can't think of one.

It's WAY too early to say .. and I am NOT comparing her to Reagan by any stretch. My statement is more an indictment of the normal republican stuffed shirts than an endorsement of Palin.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
It will be interesting to see. Seriously, name a Republican since Reagan who captivated a crowd like she did last night? I can't think of one.

It's WAY too early to say .. and I am NOT comparing her to Reagan by any stretch. My statement is more an indictment of the normal republican stuffed shirts than an endorsement of Palin.
Reagan captivated the globe.

Palin spoke at the Republican National Convention as the newly introduced VP candidate. What did you expect? Jeers and boos from the crowd?

I am not even sure she capitvated the crowd.

Last night's speech reminded me of the SOTU addresses....every time the sitting President says anything, that President's party has to applaud wildly. I remember trying to sit through Clinton's SOTU speeches and I honestly think there was more applauding by Dems than actual speaking by Bill. Really, the same for W.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote