cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
Of course killing women and children was evil. Maybe the church was involved. The coverup part convinced me that the church did at least that much. Nobody is perfect, but we need to get better, and we do that together, by lifting each other up. I wouldn't feel responsible for Jews if I was a young German either. We just need to make sure that our generation is wise enough to avoid the same mistakes.
DarkBritches, there is sunshine in your soul today. You are correct. I fear the rising generation of the Church will not be allowed to understand the truth of MMM and learn from it. We do not preach infallibility. Were there leaders involved? Yes - although no conclusive evidence of Brigham Young's direct involvement. The flames of the MMM were fanned by the killing of Parley P. Pratt (in Arkansas) in May 1857 by the husband of the woman he married (how about that polyandry). Pratt's wife made it back to the SLC valley on July 23 and related the story of the murder of her influential apostle husband. There was a thirst for revenge, plain and simple. We can learn much in the way of temperance and wisdom from this. MMM does not diminish the truthfulness of the Church, it reminds us of the fallibility of man.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
DarkBritches, there is sunshine in your soul today. You are correct. I fear the rising generation of the Church will not be allowed to understand the truth of MMM and learn from it. We do not preach infallibility. Were there leaders involved? Yes - although no conclusive evidence of Brigham Young's direct involvement. The flames of the MMM were fanned by the killing of Parley P. Pratt (in Arkansas) in May 1857 by the husband of the woman he married (how about that polyandry). Pratt's wife made it back to the SLC valley on July 23 and related the story of the murder of her influential apostle husband. There was a thirst for revenge, plain and simple. We can learn much in the way of temperance and wisdom from this. MMM does not diminish the truthfulness of the Church, it reminds us of the fallibility of man.
I tend to think the real fire was initiated in the expulsions from Nauvoo and Missouri. Religious cleansing tends to make folks testy. Those fans were flamed by Parley's murder and further flamed by the dumbasses in the Fancher Party as they travelled down the I-15 corridor. From the accounts I read, they really seemed to believe the mormons would turn the other cheek to eternity. I don't care how many older Relief Society Cistern we got, at some point in time we just run out of cheeks. I am convinced an ass-whoopin' was justified, however the boys got a lot excessive with the murder rampage.