cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top 10 Stand-up of all time in USA

http://www.comedy-zone.net/standup/comedian/index.htm

1 Richard Pryor
2 George Carlin
3 Lenny Bruce
4 Woody Allen
5 Chris Rock
6 Steve Martin
7 Rodney Dangerfield
8 Bill Cosby
9 Roseanne Barr
10 Eddie Murphy

Interesting that RB is the only female. To be honest I am not that familiear with most of these guys, in terms of their routines. Steve Martin and Bill Cosby and Roseanne Barr would be the most familiar.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

1 Richard Pryor
2 George Carlin
3 Lenny Bruce
4 Woody Allen
5 Chris Rock
6 Steve Martin
7 Rodney Dangerfield
8 Bill Cosby
9 Roseanne Barr
10 Eddie Murphy

Interesting that RB is the only female. To be honest I am not that familiear with most of these guys, in terms of their routines. Steve Martin and Bill Cosby and Roseanne Barr would be the most familiar.
Carlin was brilliant. He was more of a satirist than a stand-up.

Dangerfield was great. The king of self-deprecation.

Pryor was another brilliant comic. He led the way for guys like Rock in that he was insightful with an overdose of profanity.

Murphy was very funny, but he peaked too soon and has never been able to come up with original stuff for a long time, which is why he doesn't do stand up any longer.

Lenny Bruce was before my time, but my understanding is that he paved the way for using hyper-bigotry to demonstrate that bigotry is wrong.

Never seen Allen do stand-up, but he has great movies.

I have no idea why Rosanne Barr would be considered remotely amusing. If there is going to be a female there, it should be Carol Burnett who got her start doing stand up.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

1 Richard Pryor
2 George Carlin
3 Lenny Bruce
4 Woody Allen
5 Chris Rock
6 Steve Martin
7 Rodney Dangerfield
8 Bill Cosby
9 Roseanne Barr
10 Eddie Murphy

All these folks are great. Roseanne was pretty funny back in her day because she was one of the first raw female comediennes. Carol and Lucy were funny, but not real. They were more visual, slapstick. I mean, how many Carol Burnett monologues do we know?

Roseanne basically parlyed her early monologues into her TV show....all her original stuff was about hating to vacuum, being too tired for sex, being a fat woman, kids with runny noses, etc... Still, not sure if she is top 10 material.

Some of my favorite monologues by the above:

1. Richard Pryor--buys a really tough mean security dog....somebody winds up stealing it.
2. George Carlin...already posted the baseball v football
3. Lenny Bruce....beans make him fart (pretty radical stuff for back in the day...stand-ups didnt make those kind of jokes back then). Also, as a side note, LB really paved the way for guys like Carlin.
4. Woody Allen.....neurotic, paranoid humor. Nobody does it better than Woody Allen. "Yes, you gave me an excellent shine......but those were suede shoes....."
5. Chris Rock...not sure if he should rank higher than Eddie, since he is basically a rip-off of Eddie, but still funny in his own right. I remember his bit on gun control, actually quite genius. His suggestion to reduce violent crime is not to restrict guns, but to make bullets prohibitively expensive....that way, criminals would have to be really picky about who they shoot.
6. Steve Martin....I loved listening to his records....or at least the 2 that my older brother owned....Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!
7. Rodney Dangerfield....personally, I would rank him higher. The master of self-deprication....he made being a loser funny. "I tell you, I dont get no respect.....why....during sex. my wife...she screams out her own name!" His No Respect album is hilarious and still one of the best comedy albums of all time. "A girl called me the other day and said 'Come on Over, there's nobody home.' I went over...there was nobody home." Dang, that guy is the master. one of my top 5.
8. Bill Cosby....also one of my faves...was able to be relevant and funny without ever being dirty. His dentist routine is one of my faves..."Dentist tell you to not pick your teeth with any sharp objects...so the first thing they stick in your mouth is an iron hook...."
9. Eddie Murphy....what 80s kid did not see and quote Raw ad naseum? Hey Boy......you look mighty cute in them jeans....

I am surprised there is no Seinfeld on that list. I love his stuff. How many observational humor clones did he spawn?

Another one that is hilarious but sadly died too soon was Mitch Hedberg.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am surprised there is no Seinfeld on that list. I love his stuff. How many observational humor clones did he spawn?
I too was surprised Seinfeld didn't make the list.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I too was surprised Seinfeld didn't make the list.
Larry David should have made it in before Seinfeld. David was a stand-up, and he was the brains behind Seinfeld. When Larry left, the show went into the toilet.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 AM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

No Bob Saget? This list is crap.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

1 Richard Pryor
2 George Carlin
3 Lenny Bruce
4 Woody Allen
5 Chris Rock
6 Steve Martin
7 Rodney Dangerfield
8 Bill Cosby
9 Roseanne Barr
10 Eddie Murphy

IMO, Carlin is too high (and I love Carlin), bruce should be 2, and Rock is far too high. I would probabyl list it 1. PRyor, 2.Bruce 3. Allen, 4. Carlin, 5. Cosby 6. DAngerfield, 7. Cosby, 8. Rock, 9. RObin WIlliams 10. Seinfeld.

I don't think Murphy or Roseanne are worthy.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Lost Student

Lost Student is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
IMO, Carlin is too high (and I love Carlin), bruce should be 2, and Rock is far too high. I would probabyl list it 1. PRyor, 2.Bruce 3. Allen, 4. Carlin, 5. Cosby 6. DAngerfield, 7. Cosby, 8. Rock, 9. RObin WIlliams 10. Seinfeld.

You must be a big fan of Cosby.

Hey, hey hey!
Lost Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No Bob Goldwaithe? What the hell?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post

Robin Williams? Say it isn't so, friend.