cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2006, 05:38 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default What's the deal with Superman PG13 rating?

Anyone know why it's not PG? I remember going to see Superman with my old man when I was five and was looking forward to taking my own five year old to this one. Looks like I won't be doing that - I'm kind of bummed. You'd think they'd make it PG to appeal to families.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would they make it a PG or tamer? Most in Hollywood have proven time and time again that they don't give a damn what the public wants when it comes to so-called "family entertainment". They want to appeal to the lowest common denominator and have.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
Venkman

It's not that I really even have a problem with a PG13 rating. I believe the Spiderman movies were PG13 and I didn't have a problem with them. I was just looking forward to taking my son to to the movie. I guess I just assumed it would be PG because Superman seems to be the most kid-friendly superhero. You know, the squeaky clean boy scout type.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #4
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
It's not that I really even have a problem with a PG13 rating. I believe the Spiderman movies were PG13 and I didn't have a problem with them. I was just looking forward to taking my son to to the movie. I guess I just assumed it would be PG because Superman seems to be the most kid-friendly superhero. You know, the squeaky clean boy scout type.
A tongue kiss and some mild violence will get a pg-13 rating.

Spiderman was extremely violent. I didn't have the easiest time explaining to my young son why the Green Goblin was vaporizing innocents right and left, and when he finally got impaled to death at the end, that was a parental moment I would just as soon forget.

The original superman had some stuff in it too and might have had a pg-13 rating if such a thing existed back in the day.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
A tongue kiss and some mild violence will get a pg-13 rating.

Spiderman was extremely violent. I didn't have the easiest time explaining to my young son why the Green Goblin was vaporizing innocents right and left, and when he finally got impaled to death at the end, that was a parental moment I would just as soon forget.

The original superman had some stuff in it too and might have had a pg-13 rating if such a thing existed back in the day.
Yeah, I'm glad I didn't take my kid to Spiderman. He was too young anyway. I didn't have a problem with it myself, but I knew it wouldn't be the best for him.

Good point about the original Superman. I don't think it would have had a PG-13 rating though. Maybe Superman II - I found the bed scene at the Ice Castle quite risque when I was eight years old or so. :-)