cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Belle & Sebastian

A friend of mine recently shared with me their entire discography. I'm having a hard time getting into it. So far they just sound like a bunch of whiny Scots.

Any advice on where to start? Which albums/songs?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

I'd start by boosting your estrogen levels.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
I'd start by boosting your estrogen levels.
Is that what worked for you?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

B&S are one of my all-time favorite bands. I find their music to be really happy, uplifting, humorous, and fun. I am actually surprised you have not listened to them previously because I know you know your stuff.

One of the most intriguing things about them is their genesis. Stuart formed the band and wrote most of the first disc, Tigermilk, as part of a thesis project. The project was sucessful and he was eventually sponsored to lay down tracks for the whole disc. He and a few other band mates were actually living above an old church during this time. They acted in a groundskeeper/caretaker type role in exchange for free rent. Stuart actually stayed there until a few years ago, despite the bands success and fame.

They also are fun to see live and have been known to do some really cool stuff in concert. When I saw them for Dear Catastrophe Waitress, they started taking requests from the audience....for cover songs. They went into "Sweet Caroline" and did the entire thing, with the audience filling in the "whoa oh oh" part.

What some people find difficult to absorb is their purposely "under produced" sound. The music is often not very layered, but in later albums they explore more interesting arrangements.

If you want fun stuff or more "catchy" stuff:

Tigermilk: The State I am in, She's Losing It, Expectations

If You're Feeling Sinister: Me & the Major, Get me away from here Im Dying, If you're feeling sinister, and one of the most popular Indie standards of ALL time....Judie and the Dream of Horses

The Boy with the Arab Strap: Sleep the Clock Around, The Boy with the Arab Strap, and the beautiful "Dirty Dream Number 2"

Dear Catastrophe Waitress: literally the entire disc

The Life Pursuit: We Are the Sleepyheads, Another Sunny Day, Funny Little Frog, most of the disc, actually.

Some of their more famous B-sides include "Legal Man" and "Dog on Wheels."

Wow, I really hope you like these guys because they are simply fantastic.

Check out their video for Dirty Dream #2. I love it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
A friend of mine recently shared with me their entire discography. I'm having a hard time getting into it. So far they just sound like a bunch of whiny Scots.

Any advice on where to start? Which albums/songs?
I like them on a pretty limited basis. I'm definitely not one who owns albums or has B&S play lists. With that said, I do like Beautiful quite a bit. There is another track I like but I'll have to look at home. Bottom line, I only have two of their songs in rotation.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I like them on a pretty limited basis. I'm definitely not one who owns albums or has B&S play lists. With that said, I do like Beautiful quite a bit. There is another track I like but I'll have to look at home. Bottom line, I only have two of their songs in rotation.
That track is on Push Barman to open....which is a collection of B-sides, which are, almost always, the weakest remnants of the recording sessions for an album. It is NOT a good album to start out with.

Check out The Life Pursuit or Dear Catastrophe Waitress in full. You will likely enjoy them more.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Is that what worked for you?
Possibly. It was either that or chemical castration which seemed a bit rash just to enjoy a band.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Since we're back to music...

here is one of my recent discoveries that I really like. "Love knows how to fight" by M. Craft. This is not a video (couldn't find one) but it does have the song. Its starts slow so give it a minute.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Thanks for the post DDD. Very helpful. OTOH, landpoke was useless.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
here is one of my recent discoveries that I really like. "Love knows how to fight" by M. Craft. This is not a video (couldn't find one) but it does have the song. Its starts slow so give it a minute.
Not bad.