cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Based on my limited experience, people

who openly confront the church that are ex-members have been very "active" members. Does anyone know of any who were not.

The people I know of have had numerous callings, many in leadership roles.

It is my opinion that if you find an ex-member actively trying to undercut the church, you will find that person to have been a "model" mormon at one time.

Perhaps they were all along being a model mormon against their inner will. Perhaps underneath they were upset telling thier kids they couldn't play on Sunday while at the same time they wish they could take their kids on a Sunday campout. They were promoting the party line and their inner self was saying, this party line isn't all fact.

Something snaps and now they are pissed. Their expectations were not met. They are pissed at those who convinced them to follow the party line. They don't look inward, but it was a case of being misled.

Again, I might be totally wrong, but it seems the "best and brightest" in the church who fall, tend to be the most bitter when the marriage is severed.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
who openly confront the church that are ex-members have been very "active" members. Does anyone know of any who were not.

It is the John Bennet story. If a person has a black and white view of the world and is filled with the zeal of their convictions, it is no surprise that when those convictions get disrupted they are equally zealous going the other way. Is it the reverse of what happened with Paul.

Since I am only ever filled with glee, rather than zeal, I don't ever have to worry about this happening to me.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on my limited experience, people just move on and don't look back very much.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Based on my limited experience, people just move on and don't look back very much.

True, I was talking about the few that don't. Maybe they are so few they don't warrant talking about them.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
True, I was talking about the few that don't. Maybe they are so few they don't warrant talking about them.
Very good 71.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
I heard on a talk tape by Truman Madsen someone came to Joseph Smith and said if he left the church he would hide not fight. JS said people thoght that but once you join yhe church you leave nuetral ground and leave church won't leave it alone.
Did Truman Madsen keep giving talks after he developed dimentia? Did anyone ever record what he was really trying to say.

Last edited by BYU71; 02-29-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It is my opinion that if you find an ex-member actively trying to undercut the church, you will find that person to have been a "model" mormon at one time.

Perhaps they were all along being a model mormon against their inner will. Perhaps underneath they were upset telling thier kids they couldn't play on Sunday while at the same time they wish they could take their kids on a Sunday campout. They were promoting the party line and their inner self was saying, this party line isn't all fact.

Something snaps and now they are pissed. Their expectations were not met. They are pissed at those who convinced them to follow the party line. They don't look inward, but it was a case of being misled.

Again, I might be totally wrong, but it seems the "best and brightest" in the church who fall, tend to be the most bitter when the marriage is severed.
Some people may feel some guilt about being part of what they consider deception. They may feel that speaking out is righting a wrong. When I first came to the conclusion that I didn't believe in the church, I felt guilty about baptizing a bunch of people on my mission. I didn't feel bad enough to do the reverse mission though.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 AM   #8
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Did Truman Madsen keep giving talks after he developed dimentia? Did anyone ever record what he was really trying to say.
Tread lightly, please. Truman and Ann Madsen happens to be close friends of the family.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Tread lightly, please. Truman and Ann Madsen happens to be close friends of the family.
Sorry, the knock was intended for grapevine. I am sure his quote was not exact.

You are lucky to have such well repsected folks as friends of the family.