cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OK smart guys, explain this to me.....

Yesterday in EQ, the recently called EQ pres was giving the lesson on baptism and made the statement that baptism washing away our sins is one of the biggest false doctrines in the church. He said that be baptized does not wash away our sins, it's the confirmation and receiving the holy ghost that actually absolves our sins. a couple of his friends agreed and he went on. Any one agree with that and, is so, could you tell me the logic behind that?

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never heard that.

Doesn't the 4th Article of Faith tell us that your EQ President has no idea of which he speaks?

You ought to bring it up next week.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:25 AM   #3
ewth8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've never heard that.

Doesn't the 4th Article of Faith tell us that your EQ President has no idea of which he speaks?

You ought to bring it up next week.
yeah, those were my those as well, but I had to run to catch a train because i had to work yesterday, so I didn't want to make the class go over.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Since they are always done in tandem, who cares?
Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Yesterday in EQ, the recently called EQ pres was giving the lesson on baptism and made the statement that baptism washing away our sins is one of the biggest false doctrines in the church. He said that be baptized does not wash away our sins, it's the confirmation and receiving the holy ghost that actually absolves our sins. a couple of his friends agreed and he went on. Any one agree with that and, is so, could you tell me the logic behind that?
I dont know about you's guys, but I believe in baptism by immersion FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (caps added to denote e-shouting).

I also believe that the laying on of hands if for the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. (more e-shouting).

I could be way off on those beliefs, though. Admittedly, I am speaking off the cuff.

Did your EQ instructor provide any scriptural or anecdotal basis for his theory?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
Do not agree. But I would say baptism and GoHG can't really be seperated, so I guess you can say both together, but you'd be more wrong than right saying it's GoHG over baptism as the ordinance associated with watching away of sin.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sanctification brings about the remission of sins. Sanctification is a process of the Holy Ghost. That is probably what he meant. But neither ordinance alone, baptism or confirmation, absolves any sins automatically.
Please explain. I completely disagree.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 AM   #8
ewth8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont know about you's guys, but I believe in baptism by immersion FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS. (caps added to denote e-shouting).

I also believe that the laying on of hands if for the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST. (more e-shouting).

I could be way off on those beliefs, though. Admittedly, I am speaking off the cuff.

Did your EQ instructor provide any scriptural or anecdotal basis for his theory?
Nope, he started out the lesson asking what was one of the most common false doctrines in the church today and gave that answer, then just went right into the lesson out of the manual. It was pretty odd.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sanctification brings about the remission of sins. Sanctification is a process of the Holy Ghost. That is probably what he meant. But neither ordinance alone, baptism or confirmation, absolves any sins automatically.
This is my understanding as well.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Without sincere belief in, and commitment to, Jesus Christ, the ordinance is a symbol of obedience only.

If it is to be a "channel of grace" a person needs to be dedicated to Christ (and in this the Holy Ghost is received).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote