cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Interesting announcement in Priesthood

Yesterday in Priesthood open exercises, one of the Bishopric counselors stood up and prefaced his comments with the disclaimer that the announcement he was about to make was personal, not official.

He then shared that he acts as a merit badge counselor for some LDS scout troops in Santa Ana. For those that do not know, Santa Ana is, for the most part, a low-income area on the border of South and North County, largely polulated with hispanics.

The counselor stated that he had come to know many of the families and boys pretty well and he loved volunteering.

Apparently, the father of 2 or 3 of the scouts was just deported a few weeks ago. As such, the kids are now working after school and weekends to help their mother earn the rent, presumably until the dad can make it back North. I guess they did not want to ask the ward for Church welfare.

The counselor asked if anyone would want to help sponsor these boys to help get them to Scout summer camp, since they clearly cannot afford it now. 2 hands in the congregation immediately went up and the counselor thanked everyone. I assume the matter was resolved after the meeting.

I was not offended by this at all. I know some may be, and that is their right.

But I thought it was cool.

I guess I am having a harder and harder time hating illegal aliens. Is something wrong with me?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you're on the right track.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you're on the right track.
I was speaking partially TIC. I do not hate illegals and never have. I am not opposed to some form of amnesty. And I LOVE taco stands in East LA. yum!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't hate the illegal aliens that are here to work. I hate the companies that hire them, but I understand what kind of an economic effect it would have if the illegals were rounded up and deported.

I do hate the illegals that commit crimes.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I don't hate the illegal aliens that are here to work. I hate the companies that hire them, but I understand what kind of an economic effect it would have if the illegals were rounded up and deported.

I do hate the illegals that commit crimes.
Do you hate them more than citizens that commit the same crimes?

Illegal immigration is so pervasive, it would be impossible to hate all the companies that hire them. Pretty much anyone is at risk of employing an illegal...from construction to janitorial to cooking to landscape to consumer services.....

I wonder if the counselor in the Bishopric felt a bit more empowered in light of the recent urgings of the Church to be more compassionate towards illegals?

I do not recall any such announcement being made before in any ward I have attended.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Do you hate them more than citizens that commit the same crimes?

Illegal immigration is so pervasive, it would be impossible to hate all the companies that hire them. Pretty much anyone is at risk of employing an illegal...from construction to janitorial to cooking to landscape to consumer services.....

I wonder if the counselor in the Bishopric felt a bit more empowered in light of the recent urgings of the Church to be more compassionate towards illegals?

I do not recall any such announcement being made before in any ward I have attended.
I hate citizens who commit crimes as well. They are no different than illegals who commit crimes.

I understand that illegal immigration is very pervasive, but I do my best to not use the services of companies that hire them. I can't avoid all of them, but I can try.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I hate citizens who commit crimes as well. They are no different than illegals who commit crimes.

I understand that illegal immigration is very pervasive, but I do my best to not use the services of companies that hire them. I can't avoid all of them, but I can try.
Including the church?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Including the church?
Does the LDS church hire illegals?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
what if it did?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I have 2 sources that have told me you need a temple recommend to work on LDS temples. No proof of citizenship requirement, though....