cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road
Default 60% of BYU's roster comes from Utah?

What the hell. I don't know about you guys but I feel that that number needs to be knocked way down. There are so many D1 calibre LDS players across the country that get overlooked or noticed at all by BYU. So whats the deal here? Texas, Florida and other football states are loaded with talent that gets overlooked, why not scour them before offering early to the locals? It's easy to stand out in Utah because the talent level is so thin here. That's all I got to say. WTF.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 AM   #2
FMCoug

FMCoug

I AGREE! I mean, it's not like what they're doing now is working. :-S
Old 04-10-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUTexan View Post
What the hell. I don't know about you guys but I feel that that number needs to be knocked way down. There are so many D1 calibre LDS players across the country that get overlooked or noticed at all by BYU. So whats the deal here? Texas, Florida and other football states are loaded with talent that gets overlooked, why not scour them before offering early to the locals? It's easy to stand out in Utah because the talent level is so thin here. That's all I got to say. WTF.

2 points:
the talent level is getting better

that 60 percent figure is probably skewed by walk-ons

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
BYUTexan

BYUTexan is on a distinguished road

I would just rather see a more balanced national distribution that doesn't favor any particular state, otherwise, my alma mater would then become just another Utah team.

The eyes of Texas are upon you Michael Reed (and David Nixon).
BYUTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

What LDS kids are out there that BYU didn't go after that are doing well at other schools? I bet it's not a big number.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU had 37% from Utah in 2003.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...html?id=466183
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Ohhhh Noooooooo!!!!!!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:28 AM   #8
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WTF..... Utah a is not Texas when it comes to football talent but hell, give the state of Utah some credit. I think Utah is one of the most underrated states when it comes to high school football talent. There are some good players and some good teams in Utah.

Last edited by Hot Lunch; 04-10-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:39 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your strategy didn't work out too well for Coach Crowton.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Blah. This argument is as irrational as it is old & tired.

BYU should be offering the kids with the most talent, regardless of where they're from. If 60% of the LDS talent is coming from Utah, then so be it.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote