cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 04:51 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think this is true also. People tend to romanticize things a bit and then the seriousness of the offense seems to be diminished allowing yourself to be tempted further.
People in AA share all the time. Yet the repetition seems to strengthen their resolve rather than the opposite.

Seems to me if recounting your sins leads to longing to continue to sin, there probably wasn't repentance
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #22
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
People in AA share all the time. Yet the repetition seems to strengthen their resolve rather than the opposite.

Seems to me if recounting your sins leads to longing to continue to sin, there probably wasn't repentance
AA is just one approach. I have a sister who was admitted as a resident for her battle with an eating disorder and outside of therapy and group sessions they weren't ever to discuss what they had done and never with other residents. The main reason is because they romanticized their disorders and gathered ideas on how to conceal their disorders further. In fact I have attended "support" groups that were nothing more than support for the addiction or disorder. Coincidentally, my sister attended AA each week while in treatment and enjoyed it immensely.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
"Gosh, darn, I remember when I went down on three gals at one time, I sure am sorry about it now, but ....."
Sorry, I dont' think so.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think Indy is correct. The church never allowed or encouraged people to stand up a regular intervals and recite the litany of their sins from puberty onward (imagine how entertaining that would be!).

It is true in the early church a sinner coming back would stand and confess their sin before the congregation and then be announced as back in good standing by the Joseph or Oliver or Sidney. They didn't do this again and again. Mostly this was because the sins were sins of apostasy and evil speaking of the Lord's anointed and it was important for those sinners to publicly state their being wrong and sorry for what they said/printed about Joseph and that they would submit to his authority going forward.

After moving to Utah anyone who rebelled against Brigham would leave Utah and very few would come back. Martin and Oliver's prostrations before Brigham in the temple square tabernacle being exceptions. But as apostasy towards the Prophet became less and less common and as the church became larger and larger (only a small percentage actually knew the individual apostate), public confession was gradually discontinued.

I agree that today the church has gone too far the other way and we all prance around like ballerinas on point avoiding any show of personal weakness and this is not healthy.

On my mission I attended other churches regularly and once in Paducah Ky a very distinguished looking guy in his 60 stood up and confessed that he had been arrested during the last week for shoplifting. He looked like he had money and this wasn't a poor congregation. He cried and asked people to forgive him and please not to hold it against his wife who was too horrified to even come to church with him today. When he finished the pastor hugged him as he sobbed and there were few dry eyes in the congregation. There was no feeling of judgment or condemnation--just love and heartache. It was frankly beautiful.
Does this mean that you are going to publicly make up with FMCoug?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM   #25
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Does this mean that you are going to publicly make up with FMCoug?
Nice. LOL!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Wow, I'd love to attend a singles-ward fast and testimony meeting where sin confession is encouraged.

They may have to charge admission.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #27
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

After the confession would high fives with men sitting on the aisle as he was returning to his seat ruin the spirit of the thing.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote