cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default Oklahoma and the 84 Nat'l Championship

We all know how Barry Switzer bitched about BYU being ranked #1, but is there any truth to the story that OU was invited to the Holiday Bowl but turned it down because the payout wasn't big enough (in other word Barry was all talk)? I've heard this forever, but I'm wondering if it's really true or just some BYU football legend. Lisa? Anyone (except Seattle Ute )?

Last edited by Venkman; 12-06-2006 at 05:43 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
We all know how Barry Switzer bitched about BYU being ranked #1, but is there any truth to the story that OU was invited to the Holiday Bowl but turned it down because the payout wasn't big enough (in other word Barry was all talk)? I've heard this forever, but I'm wondering if it's really true or just some BYU football legend. Liza? Anyone (except Seattle Ute )?
Can a guy like Barry Switzer who consistently cheated his way all through his tenure as a college coach be trusted in anything?

And this comes from a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan where he won a SuperBowl with them.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I always hated the Cowboys. Hiring Barry didn't help matters in that department.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Switzer had one recruiting policy, purportedly.

When asked how he wanted to make Oklahoma win, he stated,"Recruit black at every position."

Whether he did that or not, I know not.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We all know how Barry Switzer bitched about BYU being ranked #1, but is there any truth to the story that OU was invited to the Holiday Bowl but turned it down because the payout wasn't big enough (in other word Barry was all talk)? I've heard this forever, but I'm wondering if it's really true or just some BYU football legend. Lisa? Anyone (except Seattle Ute )?
IIRC, Oklahoma was the Big 8 champ and was contractually obligated to go to the Orange Bowl. Washington, on the other hand, was ranked #2 or #3 and had a choice to go to either the Holiday Bowl to play BYU or the Orange Bowl. I remember some discussion from Washington about finals schedules et al as their primary excuse. I suspect money and prestige had a lot to do with it. It was as if nobody wanted to acknowledge that BYU was in the position it was in; if they just ignored the situation it would go away.

People were very dissapointed to end up playing Michigan. It was sad that nothing could be worked out to get BYU together with Oklahoma or Washington. Washington beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, thanks in part to an infraction by the Sooner Schooner, and that shut up Barry. BYU did end up playing Washington the next year and killed them 31-3.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Both Washington and Nebraska turned down the Holiday Bowl.

Elder Buck made the Huskies pay the following September. Pipe moving in St Anthony mixed with the proper dosage of anabolic steroids can do wonders!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently several teams were approached with the idea of turning down their higher paying, more prestigious bowl to play in a less-appealing forum.

What about the other side of the coin? If BYU was ranked #1, why didn't anyone try to get them to play in a New Years Bowl? Or did they?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Apparently several teams were approached with the idea of turning down their higher paying, more prestigious bowl to play in a less-appealing forum.

What about the other side of the coin? If BYU was ranked #1, why didn't anyone try to get them to play in a New Years Bowl? Or did they?
BYU was contractually obligated in 1984 and you think the Holiday Bowl was going to let the Y out? I think the next year the Holiday Bowl was on Sunday and BYU was allowed to go play in the Florida Citrus Bowl and lose again to Ohio State.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

All right, where to start, where to start...

I should point out I turned seven in 1984, so these are library answers, not answers from any recollection on my part.

The exact quote from B.S. is:
"When you go down Brigham Young's schedule, who they've played, I mean, it's hard to believe...Where are the Texases and the Oklahomas and the Washingtons and the Nebraskas on that schedule?"
This is courtesy Daily Oklahoman, 12/03/1984.

As far as teams ducking out of Holiday Bowl, I found an AP newspaper article from 11/29 that said that SEVEN top 20 teams had turned down offers to the Holiday Bowl. Oklahoma was not one of them, as has already been noted. The teams offered excuses such as final exams, lack of television coverage, and insufficient payout.

I found other very interesting articles on this topic, but I'll stop before the librarian gets carried away.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it in 2004, MWC champion Utah has a great 11-win season, is courted by a better bowl than the one in the conference K, and takes it.

In 2005, MWC champion TCU has a great 10-win season, is courted by a better bowl than the one in the conference K, and takes it.

In 2006, MWC champion BYU has a great 10-win season...and like in 1984, they are staying put?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote