cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We had a family that moved in over for dinner

My wife and I have a goal (my idea) to be more social with ward members. particularly since our ward is generally perceived as being socially discordant and unfriendly, or at least not particularly social.

We had a new family in mind. We finally had a free Sunday evening, and my wife gave me the green light. I was starting to get cold feet, however. Feeling lazy, rather have the time to myself and do whatever. But we ran into them on the way out of the building, and I invited them.

I don't have anything remarkable to report. Other than it was good and kinda fun. And I think they appreciated it. Particularly the stay-at-home mom/wife who would like to meet more moms and so stuff.

So that's my message recently. Get out there, be more social. Members and non-members alike. Stretch a little. Even if it isn't comfortable or easy. You'll get blessings. Which means you will bless others.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Socializing is probably my biggest weakness.
I don't socialize within the ward, and probably won't do it in the near future. But I commend you for your efforts. Once upon a time, when I was youngish and married, I tried the same and was rewarded with friendship and communal bonding.

Now with a transient lifestyle, being out of town more than I am in town, it is hard to find the energy to socialize. Without that, one is not really part of the clan though.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

As a single man, you are a menace to society. Your job is to get married, and then reenter society as a respectable man.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Archaea

I have a very good relationship but the current economy is slowing down the opportunity to consummate the deal.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have a very good relationship but the current economy is slowing down the opportunity to consummate the deal.
what are you? Japanese? Have to be financially settled before you can be married? This is 'Merica and you don't need a Indian penny before you can do whatever you want.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
what are you? Japanese? Have to be financially settled before you can be married? This is 'Merica and you don't need a Indian penny before you can do whatever you want.
There is a woman formerly associated with me who believes exactly that principle.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Socializing is probably my biggest weakness.
Same here. I keep resolving to do better but my apathy towards others keeps getting in the way.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtall View Post
Same here. I keep resolving to do better but my apathy towards others keeps getting in the way.
I am interested in people for a period of time, but many people are just boring. Add to the fact that I currently a menace to society and I would prefer to socialize in my own circle, usually not those in church. We are not better just more interesting to me. I am certain I am not interesting to those in church with whom I don't socialize. So I think it is a fair deal, neither of us bother the other.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In 2.5 years we have been invited over for dinner by 3 families.

However, we've not done much better than that. We may have only had 3 families over, not counting the large gathering we had where maybe 8 families came over at the same time. And the cooking interest group my wife held where the entire Relief Society was invited (but only one person showed). So we can do better. My parents always had people over. I'm trying to be more like them.