cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So much for Harvard training

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/13/us/13alabama.html

A neurobiologist gone nuts.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like there have been several PhD oral defense-related murders.

This is kind of the same thing. The aggrieved, who has invested his/her entire life in crossing this hurdle, feeling like the world has caved in and the only thing to do is lash out.

It's a little like post office killings perhaps. Crappy low-paid high-stress job with huge bureaucracy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It seems like there have been several PhD oral defense-related murders.

This is kind of the same thing. The aggrieved, who has invested his/her entire life in crossing this hurdle, feeling like the world has caved in and the only thing to do is lash out.

It's a little like post office killings perhaps. Crappy low-paid high-stress job with huge bureaucracy.
Biology profs are paid well. Because there is a private industry, and they are mobile, the institutions have to pay them well enough to keep them around. Also, in the bio research, patent royalties add to the bottom line. I know this wasn't an R1 institution, but if you read up on her, she had a private company set to market an invention she had made. She was doing significant things in her field.

As a professor, somewhere in the back of my mind, when I have to "reprove at times with harshness," I do wonder if some of my students who are a little off-kilter might come back and shoot the place up.

I have one student who gave me the absolute willies. He actually sent a shiver down my spine one time. He was expelled from school last semester for running naked across campus while he was tweaking on cocaine, which they found in his dorm (so the story went). I was glad to see him go.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So I am wondering why laws prohibiting guns on university campuses did not prevent this. What they did was create the expectation that everyone there would be unarmed.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

NY times reporting that she killed her brother many years ago. MA Police ruled it an accident, but now it looks like the police covered up (along with the mother) what was actually a homicide. And conveniently the investigation file disappeared. Straight out "The Departed."
Old 02-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So I am wondering why laws prohibiting guns on university campuses did not prevent this. What they did was create the expectation that everyone there would be unarmed.
I think the laws prohibiting guns on campuses are ridiculous. Someone intent on using a gun isn't going to not do it because of a metal sign. I also don't think that the knowledge that everyone would be unarmed would have any bearing on this issue. Even if guns could come on public campuses, I doubt anyone would expect or assume that bio profs would be armed.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Well they wouldn't expect it until a potential mass murderer is killed by a student or faculty member. After that they might expect it.