cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shooting at Fort Hood

Reports saying that there were up to 3 shooters.

Someone told me that on Fox, it was said that at least one of the shooters was an actual soldier.

When I heard 3 shooters, I thought "terrorist attack" whether foreign or domestic. Where do you find 3 people willing to go on a military base and start shooting people?

However if it is true that one of the persons is a soldier, one wonders if we have a case of having only one actual shooter, and the reports of 3 being mere confusion. Certainly they could be holding a couple of people to sort things out.

Mental illness comes to mind as well.

We shall see soon enough.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Major Malik Nadal Hasan.

An officer. With an Arabic-sounding name. Sounding more like a form of terrorism than mental illness.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Just had a "Holy S***" moment.

The shooter was a psychiatrist.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Just had a "Holy S***" moment.

The shooter was a psychiatrist.
is alive. is a psychiatrist. soon to be, was a psychiatrist. soon to be, in a few years, was alive.

I'm glad he survived. The victims are not robbed of the justice that comes from their fellow citizens weighing in and handing down society's punishment.

Hasan's family must be stunned.

Quote:
As Nidal Hasan's first cousin, and because his parents are no longer alive, I wanted to issue a statement on behalf of my family. We are shocked and saddened by the terrible events at Fort Hood today. We send the families of the victims our most heartfelt sympathies. We, like most of America, know very few details at this time. Here is what we do know about our cousin. Nidal was an American citizen. He was born in Arlington, Virginia and raised here in America. He attended local high schools and eventually went on to attend Virginia Tech. We are filled with grief for the families of today's victims. Our family loves America. We are proud of our country, and saddened by today's tragedy. Because this situation is still unfolding, we have nothing else that we are able to share with you at this time.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Reports now that he was giving away Korans and his furniture the morning before. Giving things away is not uncommon before suicide. Also apparent behavior change in the weeks before, wearing Middle Eastern/Muslim clothing. That he had two handguns and sufficient ammunition to shoot more than 40 people makes this obviously premeditated. He intended to die. Indiciations that he was dissatisfied with U.S. foreign policy, that he did not want to be deployed, that he may have felt persecuted for his religious beliefs. Also that he had been reprimanded for inappropriately sharing his own Muslim beliefs with patients (highly unethical and outside practice norms) and colleagues. Reports that he said "Allah Akubar" as he was shooting. Parents dead, no recent contact with family. Single. Probably never married, no kids. Not clear how connected this man was into the social fabric of society--may have been a loner. Also unknown whether he himself had mental illness--for example depression, delusions, bipolar, mania, drug use.

This may end up being a case of radical Muslim ideology mixing with the disturbed psyche of a troubled loner. In this likely deeply unhappy man--a combustible mix. Note that this is an American-born, American-trained, US citizen.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He was born in Arlington, Virginia and raised here in America. He attended local high schools and eventually went on to attend Virginia Tech.
You better believe Virginia Tech is cringing. They are still recovering from their mass shooting a few years ago. Some scandal related to that was unfolding in the news this last summer.

I guess it's a good thing that--despite how seemingly common these stories are--we are stunned and disturbed each time.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
You better believe Virginia Tech is cringing. They are still recovering from their mass shooting a few years ago. Some scandal related to that was unfolding in the news this last summer.

I guess it's a good thing that--despite how seemingly common these stories are--we are stunned and disturbed each time.
Fort Hood / Killeen had already been the site of one of the worst mass murders in US history in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre

Quote:
Reacting to the massacre,[8] in 1995 the Texas Legislature passed a shall-issue gun law, which requires that all qualifying applicants be issued a Concealed Handgun License (Texas's required permit to carry concealed weapons), removing the personal discretion of the issuing authority to deny such licenses. The law had been campaigned for by Suzanna Hupp, who was present at the Luby's massacre where both of her parents were shot and killed. Hupp later expressed sadness for abiding by the law in question by leaving her firearm in her car rather than keeping it on her person.[1] Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996.[9] The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush and became part of a broad movement to allow U.S. citizens to carry concealed firearms.[10]
Old 11-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Fort Hood / Killeen had already been the site of one of the worst mass murders in US history in 1991.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby%27s_massacre
also from your wiki cite re the 1991 murders:

Quote:
It was the deadliest shooting rampage in American history until the Virginia Tech massacre.
I"m just saying, I'm sure these places are delighted to share this commonality.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

I can't begin to express the rage that I feel for this man. Ironically, he is now extubated (off a breathing machine) at Brook Army Medical Center, being treated by army soldiers, like the ones that he killed. Many of whom, have deployed multiple times to iraq or afghanistan, and saved hundreds of muslim lives in their journeys.

Being here right now, I can't begin to express my rage and anger.

Especially because we will likely have to do another few hours on death by power point training as a result.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #10
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

God bless the lady cop for not allowing this ****sucker to kill himself. She is a true hero and I hope she makes a full recovery. Hopefully the chickenshit does too so WE can kill him.