cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Question for Black Diamond Bay

My text is this rather well done (surprise surprise) post from Cali:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Getting whipped has a lot to do with preparation (or lack thereof) and schemes. Tulsa, for example, was not a better team than BYU, but they beat us with better planning and better schemes and their QB had the best day of his life to implement the planning and schemes. If Tulsa had less time to prepare, the odds are high that they would have lost too.

BYU literally had 2 days of preparation time for TCU. That is nothing. Maybe BYU loses anyways, but it is hard to think it didn't have any effect at all.
Now, referring to your (BDB's) assertions after the Utah game last year that God intervened on BYU's behalf because BYU lived more righteously than Utah, how do you explain no reward for BYU refusing to practice on Sunday?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What does Cali's post add to your posit to BDB?

Cali is talking about preparation.

You are asking BDB about the alleged effect of righteousness on the outcome of games.

Have you already started your Friday wine down?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What does Cali's post add to your posit to BDB?

Cali is talking about preparation.

You are asking BDB about the alleged effect of righteousness on the outcome of games.

Have you already started your Friday wine down?
You don't get it? It's kind of like the belief that if you give 10% of your earnings to the LDS Church, you'll magically have more money in your bank account. Why doesn't that principle apply here? Don't practice on Sunday, treat it as a day of rest, and the Lord will download preparation while sleeping. Because keeping the sabbath is righteous. (Let's ignore for the purposes of this discussion that the Lord has seemed indifferent to tens if not hundreds of millions of murders of innocents in the last century as he has seen fit to affect the outcome of football games.)

—Paul Auster
Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You don't get it? It's kind of like the belief that if you give 10% of your earnings to the LDS Church, you'll magically have more money in your bank account. Why doesn't that principle apply here? Don't practice on Sunday, treat it as a day of rest, and the Lord will download preparation while sleeping. Because keeping the sabbath is righteous. (Let's ignore for the purposes of this discussion that the Lord has seemed indifferent to tens if not hundreds of millions of murders of innocents in the last century as he has seen fit to affect the outcome of football games.)
You really don't understand the principle behind tithing, do you?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

I get your premise, but Cali's post doesnt add anything to your point.

Your main contention has nothing to do with the mystical dowloading of preparation.

I guess BDB said that BYU's win last year was a result of righteousness?

Your aim today is to point out that BYU is obviously not living righteously, lest they would not have been destroyed by TCU.

I would have set it up differently. But i see where you are trying to go with it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-17-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
Your aim today is to point out that BYU is obviously not living righteously, lest they would not have been destroyed by TCU.
No, I'm asking why righteous living per BYU's owner's definition didn't produce better preparation, since such righteous living impinged on preparation per the arm of flesh. I'm accepting righteous living of sorts as a premise.

The analogy to tithing folklore is precise.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, I'm asking why righteous living per BYU's owner's definition didn't produce better preparation, since such righteous living impinged on preparation per the arm of flesh. I'm accepting righteous living of sorts as a premise.

You are flaunting your misunderstanding of both theology and folklore here, but carry on if you enjoy it.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:

Again, you are off-base.

Austin Collie never asserted that living right off the field produces better preparation. In fact, nobody has claimed such.

The only thing we know is that righteousness leads to "magic."

You are fruitlessly trying to redefine "magic" to include game prep. I would be surprised if BDB could even answer your question, since she never really claimed the thing you are implying.

How, if you eradicate Cali's text from your post and simply ask her about the righteousness, then I think you would be in the ball park.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

SU while I agree with the others that your comparison is off, I need to correct your use of 10%. BYU had a short week to begin with, and yes they took Sunday off, but they also took Monday evening off so their players could play flag football with their families or whatever they do; also they flew on Wednesday and then spent Wednesday evening hosting a Fireside.

So not only did they try to observe the sabbath, they filled their short week with everything short of a baptisms for the dead activity. Perhaps the 10% measurement should be upped to the 35-50% range.

Meanwhile I suspect TCU players not only practiced on Sunday but spent Monday and Wednesday evenings watching game film.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
You are fruitlessly trying to redefine "magic" to include game prep. I would be surprised if BDB could even answer your question, since she never really claimed the thing you are implying.
If BDB doesn't answer it's because (to use a term that's become fashionable here of late) she's been nailed.

—Paul Auster