cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How useful are the "Sorry, no, I can't pray" policies?

Probably most of us have seen it happen. A priesthood official or gospel doctrine teacher calls on someone to pray, and that person politely refuses, or says "sorry, I can't." The awkwardness can be profound or brief, depending on how the prayer-inviting person handles it.

We had a particularly awkward one yesterday in our young men's meeting (deacons, teachers, priests combined).

Worthiness is such a strange concept in many ways, given that we are all prone to sin. But the idea that worthiness is a black and white issue is strongly ingrained in Mormon culture.

Btw, the lesson prior to the prayer invitation was largely focused on worthiness to officiate in the sacrament, based on Elder Oaks talk. Just in case the boys who were banned from praying and participating with the sacrament, hadn't quite grasped it yet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Probably most of us have seen it happen. A priesthood official or gospel doctrine teacher calls on someone to pray, and that person politely refuses, or says "sorry, I can't." The awkwardness can be profound or brief, depending on how the prayer-inviting person handles it.

We had a particularly awkward one yesterday in our young men's meeting (deacons, teachers, priests combined).

Worthiness is such a strange concept in many ways, given that we are all prone to sin. But the idea that worthiness is a black and white issue is strongly ingrained in Mormon culture.

Btw, the lesson prior to the prayer invitation was largely focused on worthiness to officiate in the sacrament, based on Elder Oaks talk. Just in case the boys who were banned from praying and participating with the sacrament, hadn't quite grasped it yet.
It's not useful. At all.

I actually think that the concept of "worthiness" as we teach it in the church is not only useless, but counterproductive. We wonder why others think we deny the value of grace and the Atonement. We pay the importance of grace lip service but deep down inside, I don't think we buy it. We're all working our way to heaven.

This idea and church discipline, as it's currently practiced, are my two biggest disagreements with the Church today.

Last edited by ERCougar; 10-13-2008 at 02:24 PM.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote