cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intellectuals in the church

American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition

intellectual -noun

A person who engages in academic study or critical evaluation of ideas and issues. (See intelligentsia.)

==================

Is it really a good idea to make "intellectuals" a dirty word in the church? Is there a Stupid Movement in the church?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

intellectual -noun

A person who engages in academic study or critical evaluation of ideas and issues. (See intelligentsia.)

==================

Is it really a good idea to make "intellectuals" a dirty word in the church? Is there a Stupid Movement in the church?

YES. Thank you. I've been trying to make this point for quite some time. I hate the term and how it's used.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
YES. Thank you. I've been trying to make this point for quite some time. I hate the term and how it's used.
You left out the second definition:

Anyone Rocky disagrees with.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You left out the second definition:

Anyone Rocky disagrees with.
I think those are more properly termed "so-called intellectuals"
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the big thing lost in this whole discussion is the fact that the church encourages its members to be educated. How many times have we heard President Hinckley tell young men and young women to get as much education as possible?

If one follows the prophets counsel and goes and gets an education, he or she may be faced with a situation where a belief is challenged...and whatever that individual does with that challenge will aid defining or redefining his or her beliefs.

For some people, those questions lead to more questions and so on and so forth...right out of the church.

For others, the questions lead to a strengthening of the belief system.

I wonder if anyone would agree that to truly be an intellectual in the sense that it is being portrayed here and in the documentary, one must first conceed that what he or she currently believes might be wrong.

Another question to ask on the flip side would be, can one truly seek additional education and understanding and still feel that his or her current belief system is right?

I would also add that I firmly believe that the Bretheren are all very smart, very intelligent, and very capable men who have done their own searching and scholarship and have not received the callings in the church that they currently have by being blind followers or sheep.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

intellectual -noun

==================

What, me worry?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
I don't understand the problems with intellectuals. If someone called me an intellectual I would be really happy.
Most won't, so don't worry. Disagree with Rocky and he'll call you a flaming intellectual who is going to hell because he says so.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkBritches View Post
I don't understand the problems with intellectuals. If someone called me an intellectual I would be really happy.
That's because you define it differently. It seems there are as many definitions as people who comment on it. But the most common definition is:

An LDS intellectual (it's better to put it in quotes "intellectual") is one who likes to explore controversial church history or doctrinal topics, publishes in or reads Sunstone, is borderline apostate and probably should be excommunicated, usually believes the brethren are manipulative and anti-thinking, and doesn't really have a testimony.

I don't like the definition by the way.

I don't like the flip side, either. Or the definition the LDS intellectuals use to self-define themselves.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
That's because you define it differently. It seems there are as many definitions as people who comment on it. But the most common definition is:

An LDS intellectual (it's better to put it in quotes "intellectual") is one who likes to explore controversial church history or doctrinal topics, publishes in or reads Sunstone, is borderline apostate and probably should be excommunicated, usually believes the brethren are manipulative and anti-thinking, and doesn't really have a testimony.

I don't like the definition by the way.

I don't like the flip side, either. Or the definition the LDS intellectuals use to self-define themselves.
Definition 3 of intellectual:

A person who likes to spend a lot of time discussing the definition of intellectual.

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Or the definition the LDS intellectuals use to self-define themselves.
What would that be?