cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stages of Faith

I don't know if others are reading, and I'm uncertain whether it's causing a paradigm shift, but his focus of faith being the process or object upon which one's heart is set, is interesting.

What do you think about his distinction between faith and belief?

What do you think about the various stages?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't know if others are reading, and I'm uncertain whether it's causing a paradigm shift, but his focus of faith being the process or object upon which one's heart is set, is interesting.

What do you think about his distinction between faith and belief?

What do you think about the various stages?
I like the distinction Fowler makes between faith and belief. I kept thinking about Joseph Smith's teaching that everything we do in life -- every action we take, no matter how small or insignificant -- is informed by and preceded by faith. But of course Fowler is talking about deeper things than the mundane. I enjoyed Smith's (not Joseph) breakdown of the Latin word credo -- setting one's heart upon God rather than simply believing in God -- and his pithy paragraph (top of p. 13) about the finalization of the changing of the meaning of "I believe" from pledging all love and loyalty to God to sort of maybe believing in God.

I struggled through the first section of Part II, but now I'm starting Chapter 7 and I think it's going to pick up again.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
I like the distinction Fowler makes between faith and belief. I kept thinking about Joseph Smith's teaching that everything we do in life -- every action we take, no matter how small or insignificant -- is informed by and preceded by faith. But of course Fowler is talking about deeper things than the mundane. I enjoyed Smith's (not Joseph) breakdown of the Latin word credo -- setting one's heart upon God rather than simply believing in God -- and his pithy paragraph (top of p. 13) about the finalization of the changing of the meaning of "I believe" from pledging all love and loyalty to God to sort of maybe believing in God.

I struggled through the first section of Part II, but now I'm starting Chapter 7 and I think it's going to pick up again.
I agree with your observations.