cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I do find it amusing that the "small government," "free market" people are generally the ones that wouldn't even consider discontinuing the failing war on drugs/prostitution. The money saved/earned just by legalizing marijuana would pay for universal health care with a bunch to spare.
A consumption tax of goods and services that are already legal would provide more money.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #22
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
conservatives would say that liberals want government out of your private life, yet they think the government can take your money and give it to someone else.
Well, that's the stereotype, but I don't see it in practice very much. We are at somewhat of a disadvantage, being such a large country and needing to spend so much on security, research, space exploration, etc. but those last two are among the reasons why our country is so great, so that's something I'm willing to accept. The war on drugs is wasting an incredible amount of money and man-power, far more than any of the Dems' pet projects that I can think of. Of late, the stereotype seems more true than it should be, only because the republicans borrow other countries' money instead of generating it from the tax payers.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #23
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
A consumption tax of goods and services that are already legal would provide more money.
What kind of tax? What goods? What %?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
What kind of tax? What goods? What %?
All goods with the exceptions of food, shelter, and education.

Close to 20%.

No more income tax.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #25
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
All goods with the exceptions of food, shelter, and education.

Close to 20%.

No more income tax.
I'd like to read about the pros and cons of such a system, as in theory I think it'd be great for the average American's financial situation. At the same time, I wonder how a system that discourages people from buying things would jive with a society that seems to think that unrestrained consumerism is the cure of every ill.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I'd like to read about the pros and cons of such a system, as in theory I think it'd be great for the average American's financial situation. At the same time, I wonder how a system that discourages people from buying things would jive with a society that seems to think that unrestrained consumerism is the cure of every ill.
I'll look around the net sometime soon and see what I can find then boardmail you with whatever links I can find.

It could discourage people from buying things that they don't need, but it could also keep folks out of massive debt. Edit: Of course, with no income tax there would be more disposable income.