cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Non-revenue sport enthusiasm puzzling.

I'm no sexist. My lack of interest in college athletics outside the two revenue sports is evenly distributed across skiing, women's gymnasitics, whatever. I have to wonder; what is the pathology of people who care about the non-revenue sports? On Utefans there has been great concern expressed about transfers from the women's volleyball and women's basketball teams. I think that's clearly taking spectator sports too far.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm no sexist. My lack of interest in college athletics outside the two revenue sports is evenly distributed across skiing, women's gymnasitics, whatever. I have to wonder; what is the pathology of people who care about the non-revenue sports? On Utefans there has been great concern expressed about transfers from the women's volleyball and women's basketball teams. I think that's clearly taking spectator sports too far.
The pathology of following non-revenue sports may be as follows. I never played competitively football or basketball, except at the youngest of ages. So although I watched with all my friends, I never dreamt of becoming a pro baller.

Because I was middle class kid with no talent, my parents introduced me to every middle class with no talent sport, boxing, wrestling, skiing, gynmastics, judo, running, swimming, golf, tennis. Did I forget any?

So, when I attended college I knew the middle class no talent kids, participated at a club level and continued following. I only follow rugby, a sport I participated in, track because I love Olympic and any other level of track, swimming again a sport of my participation, and volleyball because BYU shows some promise. I will also follow BYU golf, because I knew Keith Clearwater and watched BYU's NCAA championship in the 80s and baseball if it ever gets good, because it was a spring sport I could sit outside and watch harmlessly.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is a symptom of the Ute's recent lack of dominance in football and basketball. During the Utes reign of glory, we were often mocked by Utes for bringing up our Sears Cup standing or success in any of the Olympic sports.

Now that the Utes are horrible in basketball and less than dominant in football, you will have to turn to other sports for solace. I suggest that you familiarize yourself with the rules of collegiate skiing, tennis, golf, swimming and gymnastics so you can remain an active participant on Ute fans.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Bandwagon Factor knows no bounds.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote