cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anybody actually like

battling head winds for fifteen miles?

I had a stretch where I normally travel at 20 mph and dropped down to 10 mph due to winds. Brutal does not begin to describe it.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I would rather ride on a 30 degree day then a super windy day. It use to kill me because I hated going slow and I wanted to blame myself and not the wind but any more I just feel like it's good training for climbing. I remember they interviewed Andy Hampsten one time and asked how he become such a good climber having grown up in North or South Dakota and he said him and his brother had plenty of opportunities to ride into the wind.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I hate riding into the wind, but I guess its more that my attitude about it is more like Archaea's than RCVs. I hate looking down at the computer and seeing 10 mph when it should be twice that.

I read a blog a couple of years ago about a group of guys from eastern Canada, Nova Scotia I believe, that wanted to follow the TdF one year. Seeing as how the highest hill in their entire province was no more than a couple of hundred feet, they treated their constant headwinds as their climbing workouts and were able to do the Alpe d'Huez with no problem.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

windsurf on the windy days. ride bike on non-windy days. this is easy math, folks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote