cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim
Does your new wife know about your adventures in faux-intellectual anti-Mormon writings? Or do you keep that all here on the internet?

Tim
She's my best friend, she knows everything about me.

I read an 'anti-mormon' book on our honeymoon. We discussed Adam/God, polygamy, blacks and the priesthood, priesthood power, fallacies, etc, before we got married.

I promised her one thing, regardless how I think, feel, etc, my testimony of Christ, and my relationship with Him I established through the church will never waiver.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #12
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
my testimony of Christ, and my relationship with Him I established through the church will never waiver.
Look, if you think that those books don't contain the power of the destroyer, and that you, or if you think that dabbling in that power (by giving it your time and your mind), are still able to have the spirit (which is NECESSARY and THE ONLY WAY to fight that power), then go right ahead. I don't know of anyone who's been able to stay strong through that, though.

Not to mention the fact that you have friends here who have encouraged you to stay away from that kind of stuff, yet you continue to push away from those people in the name of "honest study." For crying out loud, even CatBlue suggested that you stick to the standard works! CATBLUE!

Me saying this to you will probably make you more determined to learn about those things, but it would be so much better for you in the long run if you stuck to the things that are going to get you to heaven: faith, baptism, repentance, and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Everything else will be revealed to you in due time. No sense wading through mud to find buried pearls when they'll be given to you in a velvet-padded box by the person whose truth they represent.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Appreciate the thoughts Tim, truly I do.

1st Nephi 10:

18 For he is the same yesterday, to-day, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.
19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #14
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

Quote:

1st Nephi 10:

18 For he is the same yesterday, to-day, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto him.
19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.
You interpret "the mysteries of God" to mean the dark, hidden things, right? You think that seeking out the perceived weaknesses of men, holes in doctrine, etc., is "seeking out the mysteries of God"? The mysteries of God are spiritual things, things that lift our testimonies, not make us question the prophets.

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed Tim.

Mysteries of Godliness are the mysteries of the Kingdom, not unsettled historical details. In due time, those too will be revealed, but that are not the mysteries referred to.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:07 AM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

lol...and silly me was ridiculous enough to ask why Fus has the gall to have a temple recommend. Silly me.

Too bad more people around here don't have the balls to speak up and stand up for what's right.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

Quote:

1st Nephi 10:

If you think the Holy Ghost is going to hang around to testify about truth while you're engrossed in an anti-Mormon book on your honeymoon....
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:55 PM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
If you think the Holy Ghost is going to hang around to testify about truth while you're engrossed in an anti-Mormon book on your honeymoon....
True Indy, but you missed the thread several weeks back where Fus declared that he's his own Holy Ghost and part of the Godhead.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
lol...and silly me was ridiculous enough to ask why Fus has the gall to have a temple recommend. Silly me.

Too bad more people around here don't have the balls to speak up and stand up for what's right.
C'mon Rocky, that's between Fus and his local leadership.

Frankly, I think we'd all be appalled at some aspects of the individual gospels our fellow TR holders consider to be true. I believe in a church that allows us to believe what we want to as individuals as long as it does not run counter to the revealed truths of The Gospel. Hence, the basic but direct nature of the TR interview.

As for Fus, he's a curious guy. The paths down which his curiosity takes him can only hurt himself (and now his wife). It has very little bearing on you or me. That said, I tend to echo Tim and Arch. A steady diet of bacon double cheeseburgers, no matter how appealing, will eventually have a negative effect. I council balance and a little more prudence.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah
C'mon Rocky, that's between Fus and his local leadership.

Frankly, I think we'd all be appalled at some aspects of the individual gospels our fellow TR holders consider to be true. I believe in a church that allows us to believe what we want to as individuals as long as it does not run counter to the revealed truths of The Gospel. Hence, the basic but direct nature of the TR interview.

As for Fus, he's a curious guy. The paths down which his curiosity takes him can only hurt himself (and now his wife). It has very little bearing on you or me. That said, I tend to echo Tim and Arch. A steady diet of bacon double cheeseburgers, no matter how appealing, will eventually have a negative effect. I council balance and a little more prudence.
I'll bet you anything his Bishop has zero clue as to Fusnik's deep immersion into anti mormon doctrine.

Say what you will, but I take umbrage with an individual who immerses himself in anti-mormon doctrine, believes in anti-mormon doctrine and then goes into the temple.

Then again, like you say he can only hurt himself, so I probably shouldn't care.