cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

You can totally do it. I have a few pieces of advice: go to a specialty running store (Wasatch Running Co. on 90th and State is great) and have your gait analyzed, so you get put in the right shoe. Don't skimp on shoes.

Start slowly. If you think you're going to go from no running to winning your age group in two months, you're wrong. Be smart about the training. I would echo the advice to use Hal Higdon. He is a great coach. He also hosts a message board with several very knowledgeable runners posting there. They will give you excellent advice. Hal himself chimes in from time to time.
http://www.trainingpeaks.com/halforumslogin.asp

Most of all, since it's your first race and you don't have a lot of time to train, make finishing the race your ONLY goal this time. Don't worry about time, pace, or anything, just finish the thing. You'll be proud as hell when you're done, and you're more likely to get through it without injury. It's hard on the ego to see old men, women and even some kids passing you during the race, but trust me, you'll at least live to fight another day. Don't be stupid and try to run too fast.

I'm running the full that day. I ran the 1/2 last year, and the big gripe I heard was lack of mile markers. I ran with a Garmin so I didn't even notice. But the main complaint you always hear about Devine Racing is that they treat their half marys as an afterthought. But for a first time race, I think it would be great. I say go for it.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote