cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Easy grace

This following is from a talk I gave in sacrament meeting once. I believe LDS and Evangelicals would say it is equally true. I'm quite sure SIEQ or someone else will tell me this wasn't in any of Paul's original letters or it was mistranslated or I'm using it out of context. Oh well. I'm gonna go with the Sunday School version of it.

Another reason for the resistance to unconditionally accept the notion of grace is in the idea of easy grace. The worry that grace is a license to commit sin. But Paul’s answer is “Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?…” “…shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.” And also “Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.”

Paul’s view is a positive one. We don’t obey for fear of being condemned or rejected by God. We obey out of love. Love is the motivation God uses. Fear is an emotion that Satan manipulates. When we feel the Savior’s love, we desire to serve him and keep his commandments. Let us not motivate our children or others using fear that His forgiveness might not be available or fear in letting God or others down, but let us motivate by teaching the love that is demonstrated in Christ’s grace and Atonement. When we feel loved unconditionally by the Savior and those around us, we can endure any trial or temptation and truly become “servants of righteousness.”
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone care to expound on the doctrine of Justification?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote