cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #41
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No tooblue is incorrigible. Where outside the B of A, in all of this text, do we see Abraham teaching astronomy to anyone, let alone the leaders of anceint Egypt?
I already agreed with this. You are the one that started this dispute by saying abraham "or anyone like him," not me.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #42
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No tooblue is incorrigible. Where outside the B of A, in all of this text, do we see Abraham teaching astronomy to anyone, let alone the leaders of anceint Egypt?
Where do we see that it is not possible? Where do we see proof of your assertion he MAY have learned astrology from 'gentiles' as opposed to the other way around?

Yes, yes I am incorrigible ... as incorrigible as History!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:43 PM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Where do we see that it is not possible? Where do we see proof of your assertion he MAY have learned astrology from 'gentiles' as opposed to the other way around?

Yes, yes I am incorrigible ... as incorrigible as History!
What about this possibility?

Abraham, a successful trader, traveler and student, learns from the Chaldeans astronomy, and then travels to Egypt and augments his and their knowledge thereof. If he engaged in give and take, one could say he instructed in the knowledge of the cosmos.

Seattle's points are not conclusively to be presumed. However, I have no problem believing Abraham may have commenced his knowledge with the Chaldeans.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:44 PM   #44
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Imagine you lived in a time that pre-dated electricity, space travel, man-made satellites, quantum physics and accurate global surveying. Particularly at this time of the year, when more hours are spent without sunlight than with. I can imagine my interest would be much more piqued concerning the heavenly bodies and where we were, than my interest is now, what with most of the answers reasonably laid out for me. Sure we still have more to discover and have theories to fine-tune, but I doubt we can relate to the phenomenon that intrigued our anscestors. I consider it very reasonable that said "simple" societies would invest great time and research, resulting in instruments of advanced accuracy.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #45
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I already agreed with this. You are the one that started this dispute by saying abraham "or anyone like him," not me.
The only reason I said "or anyone like him" is to account for the real possiblity that Abraham is a fictional literary character, which even Nibley has acknowledged. So I meant any ancient Hebrew patriarch who may have been a model for Abraham. Kind of like Ambrosius Aurelianus being a model for King Arthur, or Attila for some characters in Nordic mythology.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #46
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What about this possibility?

Abraham, a successful trader, traveler and student, learns from the Chaldeans astronomy, and then travels to Egypt and augments his and their knowledge thereof. If he engaged in give and take, one could say he instructed in the knowledge of the cosmos.

Seattle's points are not conclusively to be presumed. However, I have no problem believing Abraham may have commenced his knowledge with the Chaldeans.
And I have no problem believing the Chaldeans and Babylonians knowledge is derived from Abrahams ancestery.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:50 PM   #47
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The only reason I said "or anyone like him" is to account for the real possiblity that Abraham is a fictional literary character, which even Nibley has acknowledged. So I meant any ancient Hebrew patriarch who may have been a model for Abraham. Kind of like Ambrosius Aurelianus being a model for King Arthur, or Attila for some characters in Nordic mythology.
I understand, but then don't make the reply argument that the fact that there is no proof that ABRAHAM taught the egyptians has any meaning, when you ahve already established the framework for the argumebnt to be anyone in like capcity. I think it is clear beyond cavil that one in like capcity could easily have had relatively prodigious amounts of astronomical knslwedge.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #48
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
And I have no problem believing the Chaldeans and Babylonians knowledge is derived from Abrahams ancestery.
I don't foreclose the possibility that "Abraham", or his model, learned it and taught it, but it also seems likely, as a successful trader, that he would have learned it in one place and moved one to compare it in another.

Why were the Muslim successful in math and science, exactly because they were nomadic and could share knowledge.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #49
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Wow. I leave you all alone for a few hours, and look at the mess you leave behind. Come now, kids.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #50
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Wow. I leave you all alone for a few hours, and look at the mess you leave behind. Come now, kids.
I may be incorrigible, but the mess is all Seattle's fault